Instrument Panel Voltage Regulator

Started by wbryanh, January 12, 2019, 06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbryanh

ClydesdaleKevin

Every gauge problem I have ever had has been from bad grounds.  Check the back of each gauge and see if there is a ground wire that came loose.  If it is a printed gauge circuit board, then it gets more complicated.
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

happywanderer

Hi
The instrument voltage or "Current regulator " on the 70's dodge chassis is part of the Amp meter although most schematics will show it as a separate component.

If you look at the Amp meter you will notice an additional terminal feeding regulated 12 volts to the temp and oil gauges.
On our brave the  amp meter blew open, all of the gauges  stopped working and the batteries stopped charging.  You can jumper across the Amp Meter to get the batteries to charge but the solution was to replace the Gauge.
Happy Wanderer

TerryH

I agree with Kevin. To take it further most 12V issues can be traced back to a faulty ground connection.
As for jumping the Amp Meter - many carry extremely high amps on the main lead. Jumping for a test - maybe ok.
Jumping for any longer period (as your jumping connection wire gauge is likely too low, among other reasons) - probably not a good idea.
Best bet - find and correct the problem.

Beware and be wary of the 'hidden smoke'.  An issue with 12 volts has the potential to burn a rig to the ground.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

turbinebronze

https://www.carid.com/images/standard/items/vrc-601.jpg
I don't know if that will work. It is a voltage limiter. It holds voltage to appx. 5-6 volts by clicking open and closed.
It should look something like that.
  Also check your amp gauge. On the older Chrysler products they ran all the charging system through the gauge then to the rest of the vehicle. When people update alternators and add more load (better headlamps and stuff), the amp gauge can burn...along with the rest of the vehicle!
  I bypassed my amp gauge and installed a voltmeter to watch the charging system.(Sorry, different subject..)
Just my 2 cents,
     Craig

RANGERRICK

I think i may have one,i will need to did it up.It is about 1" long and thin.It should be connected to the back of the gauges.It is wrapped up in a thin paper.

Rickf1985

Quote from: turbinebronze on January 14, 2019, 01:14 PM
https://www.carid.com/images/standard/items/vrc-601.jpg
I don't know if that will work. It is a voltage limiter. It holds voltage to appx. 5-6 volts by clicking open and closed.
It should look something like that.
  Also check your amp gauge. On the older Chrysler products they ran all the charging system through the gauge then to the rest of the vehicle. When people update alternators and add more load (better headlamps and stuff), the amp gauge can burn...along with the rest of the vehicle!
  I bypassed my amp gauge and installed a voltmeter to watch the charging system.(Sorry, different subject..)
Just my 2 cents,
     Craig

A volt meter will tell you more about your electrical system than an amp meter and is MUCH safer also. I agree, bypass the amp meter and put in a volt meter.