Florida to Arizona, 2019!!!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, January 06, 2019, 08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Now begins the next chapter in our adventures, Florida to Arizona, 2019.

We are going to be hitting the road, I-10 West, on Wednesday, traveling from Cottondale, FL to Gold Canyon, AZ, in our new-to-us 1995 Itasca Suncruiser diesel pusher.

We are completely moved out of the old RV, the 1989 Holiday Rambler Imperial, and the HR was towed off to its new home yesterday.

So for the next couple of days, we will be sorting through the stuff on the porch that came out of the HR, cleaning and stowing what we want to keep, and throwing a LOT of it out.

We are supposed to have gorgeous weather all week long...SWEET!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

I started early sorting things on the porch, and got rid of 5 trash bags full of stuff we won't need or want, and cleaned them, handing them off to Patti to put in their proper places. 

When it was warm enough for Patti to take over the outside sorting/cleaning process, I ran down to Walmart and got the cables I would need to install the 24" flatscreen TV in the bedroom (coax, HDMI, etc).  While she kept sorting, I installed the TV mount and got every thing set up...and none of the cable wires are working.  I ended up, late in the day, running the cable for the Dish satellite receiver out the window and to the Dish tailgater on the roof of the RV, just like we used to do on the Holiday Rambler.  I WILL sort out the cable issues though.  I don't want wires out of windows, etc.  Just not now.

We made a huge dent in the pile of stuff, although it will probably take two more days of sorting, cleaning, and throwing stuff out.

And while Patti was cooking dinner tonight, the microwave made a loud POP and died.  No breakers were tripped, so the old Magic Chef microwave gave up the ghost.  Poor thing...I guess it was just it's time...lol!  When we get to Arizona we will replace it, hopefully with a convection oven/microwave if we can find one that is the same or similar dimensions.

Tomorrow will be more of the same...and then we will get on the road!

Kev

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

It took all day, but the move in is pretty much complete!  Just some fine tuning to do tomorrow.

We threw a LOT of stuff away, and are giving away some more stuff, so we are running way lighter than we used to.  All of our stuff is loaded, and there is still plenty of room in the under compartments...lol!

Everything that is going in the Jeep is staged at the rear of the RV and covered with a tarp.

Bright and early tomorrow, we are going to the "local" laundromat, which is about 9 miles away in Marianna, FL.  While we are in Marianna, we will stop by the local DMV and drop off the license plate for the motorcycle and cancel the registration on the bike, since we sold it.  We also have to pick up some sticky hooks so Patti can organize the two rear closets we decided to use for our Renfaire costumes and accessories.  Patti also wants to go to Dilmore Meats, right down the road from this RV park, to stock up the freezer (they have been in business since 1971, and they have AWESOME prices on locally grown meats that they process right there!).  If it is warm out and we have time after all that, I'm going to give the doggos a bath outside (using the outside shower) and shampoo the carpets in the RV with a Rug Doctor.  And then we have to load the staged stuff into the Jeep, hook up the Jeep to the tow bar, set up the tow lights, etc.   

More than likely, we will break these last chores up into two days, instead of trying to crush it all into one.  Which means we will be leaving on Thursday instead of Wednesday.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We got everything done on the list except washing the doggos, shampooing the carpets, and loading the Jeep.  We also picked up a cheap microwave at Walmart that is a perfect fit, and installed it, and a TP holder for the bathroom, since the one in the stock location is REALLY hard to reach from the throne...lol!

I also hooked up the antenna wire to the TV, and it works for over the air channels.

We decided to extend our stay until Friday, so the pups will get washed tomorrow morning, and I'll take them on a nice long walk to let them dry off.  And then I'll shampoo the carpets on Thursday since we are leaving Friday morning. 

Over the next two days we'll also be hanging hooks in closets to organize them a lot better, and just odds and ends to make everything easier to stow and to find when we need it.

More tomorrow!

Kev

Rickf1985

And then on your first day of travel you will find all the things that you thought were anchored down but weren't and all the other things that you forgot to anchor down. Never fails, it ALL finds the floor as you are driving. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao  After a couple years I have it down to just one or two things that fall now. D:oH!

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Rick!  Been there, done that many times.  That is what a lot of the "fine tuning" today and tomorrow are going to be about:  Making sure everything is secure for travel.  At least all the doors and drawers on this RV lock firmly in the closed position. 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We washed the doggos in warm water today, using the outdoor shower...what a convenience!!!  And then I noticed a lot of soot on the Atwood 6 gallon hot water heater, and the side of the coach.   And I noticed the flame was orange and yellow with hardly any blue.

I took off the burner tube, and it was loaded with soot...and a couple of dead stink bugs!  And when I say the burner tube was loaded, it was half restricted with carbon build up.  The air on the slide tube was wide open as well.

I cleaned it out completely, reinstalled it, and closed off the air tube to about 1/4 open.  Then I fired up the hot water, and the flame was a consistent blue...sweet!  I'll keep an eye on it for soot build up, and may have to fine tune that air adjustment, but so far so good.

I also tried to troubleshoot the furnace, which was working when we bought the coach, but won't come on now.  It is a Suburban furnace.  I took off the outside cover, and it is clean inside and there don't seem to be any loose connections...and the fuse is still good.  So it is either a control board issue, or a problem with the wall thermostat (which also controls and works with the ducted AC).  I'll mess with it when we get to Arizona and until then use the ceramic heater.

And there is a slow water leak at the Franken-toilet.  I'll have to take a picture of it later and post it here so you know why I call it that...lol!  It looks like someone took two toilets and some spare parts, and put this one together.  Anyhow, it slowly leaks from somewhere inside (fresh water), drips down the plastic base, and drips onto the linoleum.  It is just a small puddle daily, but it is there, so I'll have to fix it, and more than likely replace the Franken-toilet once we get back to work.

Tomorrow I'll be shampooing the carpets, loading up the Jeep...and early Friday morning we'll be back on the road to Arizona.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Everything is ready to go!  The carpets are shampooed, the Jeep is loaded up, the cabinets are stocked, the fresh water tank is full, all fluids and pressures checked, I drained the diesel/water separator and gifted it to a huge fire ant mound,  the tow lights are on the Jeep...and we are leaving in the morning!

Which also happens to be Patti's birthday.  I asked her if she wanted to wait one more day so she could relax on her birthday...and nope!  She wants to hit the road!

Wish us luck on our maiden voyage (if you don't count the 180 miles we drove it from Lake City, FL to the campground we are at in Cottondale, FL)!  It is going to be a long one, all the way to Arizona.  I really hope everything is good on this RV...LOL!

Keep us in your hopes and prayers!

Kev

Froggy1936

BON VOYAGE :  Be very careful of not purchasing Gasoline till it becomes second nature , Also remember special fuel additives for Diesel in Freezing weather !  Have an Enjoyable trip ! Frank & Louie  :)ThmbUp
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Good luck and keep us posted. I am betting on 20 things hitting the floor on the first day. (loose items) :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

joanfenn

Drive carefully Kevin.  Be safe and keep in touch :) :)ThmbUp

moonlitcoyote

Safe travels Kevin, I just read through all your posts and I am glad it all worked out for you.  Your new home looks pretty sweet.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks everyone!  I have to admit I am nervous about this long maiden voyage...but she ran great on the 180 mile trip to bring her to the campground we are in.

LOL Rick!  We'll be double checking all items that can possibly hit the floor before we leave.

Thanks Frank!  It will definitely be diesel at the pumps!

Thanks Joan!  We'll be taking it slow and easy.  Even though this rig has a LOT more horsepower than we are used to and doesn't seem to be as susceptible to being pushed by the wind and semi trucks , we'll still be keeping it at around 55mph in the slow lane.

Thanks MJ!  We are very blessed and very happy with this new chapter in our lives.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We are enjoying our morning coffee (well, at least I am...Patti already showered and is doing her hair and makeup, etc), and then we'll be getting in the Jeep to say farewell to our camp host/campground owner, who has been so amazing to us this past few weeks.

And then we'll take the pups out one more time, hook up the Jeep, stow everything that needs stowing, dump the holding tanks, unhook and stow the hoses and power cable and Dish Tailgater, start the RV and let it warm up...and then we'll be hitting the road!  I-10 West for a couple thousand miles!

Westward HO!!!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So far so good!  We arrived safely and with no mechanical problems at the Flying J in Gulfport, Mississippi, about a 250 mile drive.

When we arrived, we filled the propane tank, the diesel tank, and while the Itasca was still warm and running in idle, I checked the transmission fluid, and it was at the perfect level.  Then we parked it, took the pups out, had dinner, and then fired up the generator.

WOW what a different experience driving this Suncruiser is!  The wind barely made an impact, we could barely feel the push from passing semi trucks...and instead of flooring it to make it up hills, I had to keep glancing down at the speedo to make sure I wasn't going over 60!  This thing wants to boogie!

Before we leave tomorrow, I'll check the rest of the fluids, the tire pressures, and I have to do a quick project on the Jeep (which I laid out in a compartment already, easy to reach)...the 12 volt source that works with the key off for the Brake Buddy keeps blowing a 25 amp fuse...but if I plug the Brake Buddy into the other 2 12 volt receptacles, it works fine and no fuses blow.  So it is the power plug, not the Brake Buddy.  Which means I am going to run some new 10 gauge wires right to the battery with an inline fuse, and hook it up to a 12 volt female receptacle that is in my electrical box, and put it under the dash board (that is the easy solution...to troubleshoot or replace the one IN the dash, I would have to take half the dash apart...no thanks!).

Also, anyone know the correct procedure for draining the water/diesel separator?  Is there a bleeding procedure I didn't know about?  When I started the Itasca this morning, it started right up...and then stalled...and then it look a while before it would start again.  It was turning over, just not getting any fuel, so air must have gotten into the system when I drained the separator.  Starts and runs just fine now, but gave me a bit of a scare this morning.

Tomorrow, we drive another 295 miles to Orange, TX to stay at that Flying J, and then on Sunday, we drive about 240 miles, which will put us through Houston on a Sunday, and we'll land at the Flying J in Brookshire, TX on the other side of Houston.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I'll be setting my trip meter before we leave tomorrow, and top off the diesel when we get to the Anthony, TX Flying J.  I'm really curious what kind of fuel economy we are getting, since it runs at such low RPMs and seems to be sipping fuel so far.
Kev

Froggy1936

Hi Kev Great to hear all is going well. There should be a procedure in the operator's manual for draining the water separator  Or look it up on line . You should be able to drain off water without creating a large void in the fuel supply !  Diesels use the vacuum from the injection pump to pull fuel up to the pump, I dont know why they dont also have a electric pump near the tank to prevent the long cranking ? Let us know what you find !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

A lot of diesels have a primary pump but it may be after the filter. Are you sure you got the gaskets seated correctly when you changed the filter? You should not have to drain that separator more than once a month at most. If there are wires going to the separator then it might have a water in fuel light and you don't have top do anything unless that light comes on. It may also have a fuel heater in there. Most of them you just open the drain for a second or two and close it and you are done, With the engine shut off.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Rick and Frank!  I didn't change the filter this time around, since there was sharpie on the side of the filter that said 7/12/18, meaning it was changed recently.

Maybe I just drained out too much fuel?  I emptied the separator completely.  I'll get the hang of this diesel thing in no time...lol!  Next time I drain that separator and start it up, I'll give it a little bit of throttle to make sure it stays running until that air bubble is gone.

So after coffee, I'll do my checks on the RV, fix that plug on the Jeep so the Brake Buddy works...and then it is off to the Orange, TX Flying J, 295 miles away.

Kev

Rickf1985

Don't drain the separator unless the water in fuel light comes on or at the absolute most once a month. Unless you are getting water in your fuel supply there will be no water in there.

ClydesdaleKevin

Good to know Rick...thanks!  Now...when I do change the filter, what do I do to keep that air pocket from getting in the system again?

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Another trouble free leg of the journey, and we are in Orange, TX!!!

The trip was 286.6 miles, and when I topped off the diesel at the Flying J, it took 27.41 gallons.  Which means we are getting 10.45 mpg!!!  Woohoo!  We aren't going to save a ton of money since diesel is so much more expensive than gasoline...but we'll save a little, have a TON of horsepower, and the ride from this rig is so quiet and smooth!  Each leg of this journey I'm going to keep track of the MPG, and then average it out at the end.

Transmission fluid level was perfect again when we pulled in, but I do have a slow leak in the power steering.  It was down about 1/3 quart when I checked it this morning.  I suspect it is leaking at the pump, either from the pump itself, or one of the lines (hopefully the low pressure return line...lol!).  I say that because we haven't lost a drop of transmission fluid from what the dip stick indicates, but there is some red drops of transmission fluid on the bottom of the Allison transmission.  So my guess, since the power steering takes the same fluid, is that it leaked from on top in the engine compartment, and then dripped down to the bottom of the transmission pan.  I can't find any indication of a leak anywhere else.  I'll have to fix that when I get to Arizona and have time and money to do so.

I also picked up a cheap 400 watt inverter at the last Flying J to run the small flat screen TV and satellite receiver dish...I tested it and it can handle the power.  Not sure how much battery life the two Interstate golf cart batteries will give me, but I'm guessing it will make it so we can watch TV at night without running the generator.  The cost of propane is pretty high right now, and we just filled the tank.  I'm not sure how efficient the Onan is, but running the TV off the inverter will no doubt save us a lot of money by not having to burn through so much propane.

And that was today's adventure folks!  The Flying J in Orange's RV parking spots were full of trucks and cars (even though there were tons of open car parking spots)...so we parked among the semis in the back.  I really want to start carrying a can of washable blaze orange spray paint...and every time I see a vehicle that isn't an RV (or isn't pulling a trailer, boat, etc), I want to spray paint the 2 letters "RV" on the side of the vehicle in big capital letters...lol!  Think they would get the hint?

Tomorrow we have a much shorter leg of the trip, from Orange, TX to Brookshire, TX, so we can make it to the other side of Houston on a Sunday.  Only 148 miles tomorrow.

Kev

Sasquatch

When are we going to get some photos of your new rig???  Glad your trip is going well.

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey Sasquatch.  I posted a few pics on my "Trip from Hell" thread, but here are some more for this thread: 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

I forgot to mention yesterday that before yesterday's trip, I did indeed install another 12 volt plug in the Jeep, and the Brake Buddy is operational.

Kev