Arizona, 2020!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, February 09, 2020, 10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Ok! I already know Iââ,¬â,,¢m going to get in trouble for this. However not being the sharpest knife in the drawer or the brightest bulb in the pack. Maybe somebody can explain to me how you go from broke to destitute. To buying a new diesel motor home. Ok not totally new. A new truck although not totally new. To affording to buy property. To selling a business that you donââ,¬â,,¢t totally sell it. I smell a rat. D:oH!

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: LJ-TJ on March 16, 2020, 04:00 PM
Ok! I already know Iââ,¬â,,¢m going to get in trouble for this. However not being the sharpest knife in the drawer or the brightest bulb in the pack. Maybe somebody can explain to me how you go from broke to destitute. To buying a new diesel motor home. Ok not totally new. A new truck although not totally new. To affording to buy property. To selling a business that you donââ,¬â,,¢t totally sell it. I smell a rat. D:oH!

LOL!

Okay...let's dissect this:

Last winter, because of a trend of rainy weather and a lot of vet bills the previous year (Renfaires are outdoor events and weather dependent), we found ourselves on the edge of bankruptcy when our 1989 Holiday Rambler's transmission died on our way to Arizona.  So I set up a go fund me.  I found a 1995 Itasca diesel pusher, only six years newer...and ended up paying 6700.00 for it and trading three of my guns.  5000.00 of that was a gift from my mother, I sold my old enduro motorcycle for 1000.00, and the rest was money we had saved, along with some very generous donations on the go fund me.

The "new" truck is 40 years old...lol!  A 1981 Ford F-100 longbed.  I traded my lifted Jeep Cherokee even for it.

The property is two acres, and we got a loan from a local community bank for it.  A loan...lol!  We didn't magically pull 28K from our bums. 

And finally, the business is usually very profitable as long as it doesn't rain all year, or get shut down by an over exaggerated hyped up virus scare.  The folks that bought if from us own many other businesses at Renaissance Festivals, and know how profitable ours can be from seeing so many folks buying our catapults.  They only do Renfaires and Conventions, and could care less about us doing a gun show or two a month...since there is no real overlap in the customer base and we won't be doing any internet orders.  Plus, they might need me to make and send them parts for busy shows until they get their sea legs under them, paying me as a subcontractor.

Got it?  Pretty simple and no mystery about it. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp  You have my apolagees. The way I read it from the thread  and the way you explained it came out totally differently.

joanfenn

I am  surprised that no one has asked you to swear on the bible and sign in blood.  Really?  Is it any ones business at all except for Kevin and Patti?  If you follow his stories you would realize that they are due for some good luck and I for one are glad for them.  Good for you two and enjoy being landowners for a change.  A whole new life for the two of you, :)ThmbUp

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: LJ-TJ on March 16, 2020, 09:30 PM
:)ThmbUp  You have my apolagees. The way I read it from the thread  and the way you explained it came out totally differently.

Its all good bro.  Seeing different posts over many many years can get confusing.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: joanfenn on March 16, 2020, 10:25 PM
I am  surprised that no one has asked you to swear on the bible and sign in blood.  Really?  Is it any ones business at all except for Kevin and Patti?  If you follow his stories you would realize that they are due for some good luck and I for one are glad for them.  Good for you two and enjoy being landowners for a change.  A whole new life for the two of you, :)ThmbUp

Thanks!  Although we still intend to travel.  Especially in the summer time!  The heat and humidity here is unbearable unless you stay in a pool all day.  I intend to find some gun shows in upper Michigan and Maine in the summer months...lol! 

Kev

tmsnyder

I quite enjoy reading of Kevin's combined RV lifestyle and career.  And the landing spot in GA is brilliant, I'd love something like that myself someday. Cheers all!

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: tmsnyder on March 17, 2020, 09:24 AM
I quite enjoy reading of Kevin's combined RV lifestyle and career.  And the landing spot in GA is brilliant, I'd love something like that myself someday. Cheers all!

Thanks!  And the adventures WILL continue...mostly locally, but north in the hottest summer months.

Kev

Froggy1936

Kevin once again you have been Duped ,  The Virus is not a FAKE it is very serious , Especially for people like me that have so many of the underlying previous conditions.  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Not fake for me or any of the other Vietnam Vets that have lung issues from the chemicals in that war either. And the only reason I brought up the financial bit was because you put it out there. We also did the math and it did not add up.  "5000.00 of that was a gift from my mother, I sold my old enduro motorcycle for 1000.00, and the rest was money we had saved, along with some very generous donations on the go fund me." You had told us that you were broke and your savings were gone. You also spent many thousands of dollars after you bought the motor home. On Jeep tires, solar panels, expensive batteries. And this was before you even got back into your earning season.
It is not so much the fact that you got the RV as much as it is that you rubbed all of this in our faces, over and over. And you still are. You paid more than 28 for that property and it is less than two acres. Please, if you are going to put it out there at least be honest. This is what gets people on edge. That and especially your contempt for those of us that are truly in need and also in danger from this virus. I would venture to say that someone on this forum is going to suffer greatly from it, I hope you will find it in your heart to donate to any of their needs.

TerryH

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on March 16, 2020, 12:36 PM
I think the mainstream media is VERY irresponsibly hyping this up.  I don't think this is going to be any worse that H1N1, which is still a thing.

Kev
Because the above post of yours remains I assume it is perpetuated, at least until and if removed by Mark. I also assume the same applies to my responses to your post.
Perhaps you could and would explain the above quote as attributed to you.
You consider the media keeping us informed of updates, numbers, locations, government proclamations, etc. to be ââ,¬Å"irresponsible hypeââ,¬Â?
You consider top Medical Officials around the world - including the USA- to be under the influence of Media ââ,¬Å"hypeââ,¬Â? Along with worldwide governments at all levels - including the USA? As well as major sport associations, airlines, rail lines, retailers, international corporations, etc. etc. etc.?
Numerous travel restrictions world wide are all based upon ââ,¬Å"media hypeââ,¬Â?
You seriously think that Media is trying to perpetuate a false belief that COV19 is a pandemic?
You seriously think that COV19 is equitable or even comparable to H1N1?
Do you even understand the difference between ââ,¬Ëœepidemicââ,¬â,,¢ and ââ,¬Ëœpandemicââ,¬â,,¢?
I sincerely hope that no one close to you is infected with this ââ,¬Å"hypeââ,¬Â as you refer to it.
I seem to recall some time ago you were quite vehemently ââ,¬Å"hypingââ,¬Â e-cigs or vaping. Are you still?
Finally here, I am somewhat curious. You wrote that Arizona, as per the CDC is disallowing any groups of more than 50 individuals. Were you present for CDC/Arizona discussions? Were you present when the Arizona Governor made this declaration? Or, and far more likely, did you in fact hear/read this through the ââ,¬Å"irresponsible mediaââ,¬Â?
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

joanfenn

OK I give up, I guess it is everyone's business.  I was raised to keep my nose out of things that didn't concern me. I guess I was raised wrong.  So everybody put out there what you want and if you don't want it to rise up and slap you in the face just keep it to yourselves.  Or not, no one can tell you what to do.  Keep safe, keep well and well, keep on going.

ClydesdaleKevin

So let me explain what I meant about the COVID-19 virus...and please, try to keep politics out of this and off this forum:

"I think the mainstream media is VERY irresponsibly hyping this up.  I don't think this is going to be any worse than H1N1, which is still a thing."

That is exactly what I said, and nothing more.  I don't know where y'all came up with thinking I was saying it wasn't a bad thing, or shouldn't be taken seriously.  So far, the mortality rate per those infected is indeed LOWER than with H1N1, which is still going around seasonally and killing tens of thousands of people.  They are both very bad, and should be taken seriously...as should the CDC guidelines. 

Of COURSE we should follow the CDC quideline and minimize social contact and gatherings of groups of 10 or more.

What I meant by the media hyping this up is that they are irresponsibly panicking people.  They could have presented things a lot more calmly, and then maybe folks could buy toilet paper and hygienic products, especially our most vulnerable citizens, the elderly and those with underlying health conditions.

On the bright side, if everyone DOES start following the CDC guidelines, we can minimize the damage this virus does to our citizens...AND minimize the damage H1N1 does to our citizens.  Applying the same common sense principles the CDC recommends to combat COVID-19 should also bring the rate of those that catch H1N1 every year WAY down.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on March 18, 2020, 02:20 PM
Not fake for me or any of the other Vietnam Vets that have lung issues from the chemicals in that war either. And the only reason I brought up the financial bit was because you put it out there. We also did the math and it did not add up.  "5000.00 of that was a gift from my mother, I sold my old enduro motorcycle for 1000.00, and the rest was money we had saved, along with some very generous donations on the go fund me." You had told us that you were broke and your savings were gone. You also spent many thousands of dollars after you bought the motor home. On Jeep tires, solar panels, expensive batteries. And this was before you even got back into your earning season.
It is not so much the fact that you got the RV as much as it is that you rubbed all of this in our faces, over and over. And you still are. You paid more than 28 for that property and it is less than two acres. Please, if you are going to put it out there at least be honest. This is what gets people on edge. That and especially your contempt for those of us that are truly in need and also in danger from this virus. I would venture to say that someone on this forum is going to suffer greatly from it, I hope you will find it in your heart to donate to any of their needs.

I'm not even going to dignify this with a lengthy response.  "Rubbed all of this in your faces?"  Go back and read my thread, "trip from hell."  All of this was addressed...back then.  Expensive batteries?  You mean the two Trojan T-105s I got for 100 bucks each?  Or how about the four 99 dollar solar panels which we need to boondock, or the tires, which were needed since ours were worn down to nothing?  And never once did I say we were dead broke.  I said we didn't have enough to replace the transmission AND make it all the way out to Arizona (we broke down in Florida, if you recall).  Even with the go fund me, trading the guns, and selling the bike, we still had just enough to get to Arizona with not a heck of a lot left over after buying this Itasca.  Everything that you mentioned that we purchased, "rubbing it in your faces, " were things we needed...AFTER we started back to work, and purchased with money we earned during the show.

I could understand your ire if I was buying Rolex watches, or showing off a brand new Corvette, or bragging about buying a condo in the Bahamas.  But that wasn't the case at all.

Haters gonna hate...geesh! 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: joanfenn on March 18, 2020, 06:53 PM
OK I give up, I guess it is everyone's business.  I was raised to keep my nose out of things that didn't concern me. I guess I was raised wrong.  So everybody put out there what you want and if you don't want it to rise up and slap you in the face just keep it to yourselves.  Or not, no one can tell you what to do.  Keep safe, keep well and well, keep on going.

No Joan.  You were raised totally correctly.  Apparently some others were not. 

Kev

joanfenn

Thanks Kev:  I wish you and Patti every success in your new venture.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: joanfenn on March 18, 2020, 08:29 PM
Thanks Kev:  I wish you and Patti every success in your new venture.

Thank you!  Be safe up there in Canada! 

Kev

Rickf1985

I probably should not reply but since I was picked out of the group of those that posted it seems that I am the target here. Obviously it is not just me that feels this way but be that as it may. Hater? I do not hate anyone. I do not hate the soldier that shot me in Vietnam, I do not hate the soldiers that sent the mortor round that damn near killed me there either. I do not hate the boss that fired me from a good job because he thought I might be trying to get his job, which I wasn't. And I don't hate you. If I did would I have been giving you mechanical advice all along since this all went down? I help people any way I can and sometimes my ways are a bit dry? harsh? unfeeling? I don't know how to describe it other than I tell it like I see it. That is how I have always been and I will never change. The Lord has kept me alive for some reason and all I can think of to repay him is to help people as I can. My pointing out what I saw was intended to show you that you were being insensitive. But I know you are going to dispute that so I will not go on with it. Going forward if you ask a question about something and it is something I can answer I will help with it. Just who I am. I am not a hater. And as far as how I was raised? I was raised to be very respectful. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. I have held a job my entire adult life and I have a house and cars for myself and my wife. I get by on very little money but I do not complain. I think I was raised quite well. Others may not agree, nothing I can do about that. Last I have to say on the subject. Have a good night and a safe trip east.

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on March 18, 2020, 09:35 PM
I probably should not reply but since I was picked out of the group of those that posted it seems that I am the target here. Obviously it is not just me that feels this way but be that as it may. Hater? I do not hate anyone. I do not hate the soldier that shot me in Vietnam, I do not hate the soldiers that sent the mortor round that damn near killed me there either. I do not hate the boss that fired me from a good job because he thought I might be trying to get his job, which I wasn't. And I don't hate you. If I did would I have been giving you mechanical advice all along since this all went down? I help people any way I can and sometimes my ways are a bit dry? harsh? unfeeling? I don't know how to describe it other than I tell it like I see it. That is how I have always been and I will never change. The Lord has kept me alive for some reason and all I can think of to repay him is to help people as I can. My pointing out what I saw was intended to show you that you were being insensitive. But I know you are going to dispute that so I will not go on with it. Going forward if you ask a question about something and it is something I can answer I will help with it. Just who I am. I am not a hater. And as far as how I was raised? I was raised to be very respectful. I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. I have held a job my entire adult life and I have a house and cars for myself and my wife. I get by on very little money but I do not complain. I think I was raised quite well. Others may not agree, nothing I can do about that. Last I have to say on the subject. Have a good night and a safe trip east.

Its all good bro.  And my first post in response to this backlash was clarifying what I said about COVID-19 vs H1N1...not your post.  I ignored Terry's post completely because it was off the rails.  My "keep politics out of this forum" was to Frank, who I love and respect, after his "45" reference.

I already KNOW you are abrasive and come across as Eeyore when it comes to posting...LOL!  It is just the way you are, and your internet personality.  And I'm cool with that.  But when you attack me personally with misinformation I will respond....respectfully as always.

I'm not mad at your bro, but thought we already worked this out, AND the numbers, in the "trip from hell" post.  To see you bring it up again and attack me for things that we already resolved was confusing at best.  Just have a little self awareness in the future man.  And there is a "my mail" option in this group, if you want to clarify things personally without looking the fool. 

Anyhow...social media is the Devil...which is why this forum shouldn't reflect the mob mentality garbage of mainstream social media like Facebook and Twitter.  If ya'll want to act like Facebook trolls, come find me on Facebook  (https://www.facebook.com/KevinMacGowanSmith).  Don't do this HERE of all places!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We are all packed down and ready to head home to Georgia!

I also got the Blue Ox tow brackets attached to the front bumper of the Ford F-100, and some tow hooks to attach the safety cables to...and replaced the fuse for the cigarette lighter port (to power the Brake Buddy), and installed the break away switch.  So we are good to go!

We have to stick around for a few more days to close on the business deal, but the Faire won't let us stay on site (today is the deadline to leave), so we were lucky enough to get reservations down the road at the Lost Dutchman State Park for a few days.

So thus endeth this chapter!

Look for my new thread, The Journey Home 2020!

Kev