house batteries not getting charged when plugged to shore on my 89 winnebago war

Started by proimagesigns, January 04, 2019, 08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proimagesigns

Hi all,I am a new member on this forum and new to Rvs
I recently purchased a 1989 chevy p30 winnebago Warrior 22ft
there area few items that It needs attentionsuch as generator,airbags,shocks to but the major one for me right now is that when I plug
to shore the house batteries dont charge (I put in new 12v house batteries) Is there anything I should look for?
also I just came back from a 350 mile round trip and the brake light came on on the dash would like an opinion on what  to look for?thank you in advance we are looking forward to enjoying our MH having 5 children we are definitely looking forward to camping

Froggy1936

Hi, There are a list of reasons for the brake light to come on , 1. Emergency brake partially on or switch shorted out ,2. possible low on fluid if sensor equipped 3. A leak anywhere in the brake hydraulic system . 4. Spooks   :)rotflmao   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Welcome to the forum. You will find that this forum is set up so that each section is catered to a particular type of problem, electrical, chassis, plumbing and so on. So in the future you will want to aim for those areas. Frank already addressed the brakes so I will mention the batteries. First, Do you have 12 volt power in the coach? If yes then the main switch is on and that is not the problem. If not then there is a main battery shut off switch which is usually on the dash with a little light next to it. The light should be on when the switch is on. The next problem would most likely be the charger/converter has gone bad. This is fairly common on a 30 year old coach and the originals were good for boiling the batteries anyway. The most common suggestion from about anyone here is going to be to contact Randy at Best Converters, He will steer you through what you need to check and suggest the best replacement. I have their converters in both my slide in and my Winnebago. I also have an 89 Winnebago but mine is a 31 foot Chieftain.

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

proimagesigns

Thank you for the replies guys
I actually spent about a week trying to figure out the forum and got
A little confused where to post I appreciate the feedback
The brake light came on during the trip when I would step on the brakes
So I will have a mechanic check the master cylinder.
On the battery part I have power to the 12volt batteries but don’t charge when
I plug in to shore right now I have a tricle charger that I found and that is how I’m charging them o my dash I don’t remember seeing a main battery switch I have he MoM-Dual and main-Aux that tells me how much battery is left
I will take a pic of the dash and see if missing anything

Rickf1985

Here is my dash, If you look to the lower left of the radio there is a switch with a light to the left of it. This is the master battery switch and when this is switched off there is no battery power to the coach OR charging power to the batteries.

circleD

This site has so much info that Mark has arranged it the best he can over the years. Don't get discourage because once you figure out how to use the site, you'll wonder how you worked without it.
TIP: Use the search box at the top right of about every screen and choose this site or Google. Most of the time the Google will send you to an article from this site  i?? . Must be popular or something. I had trouble with pics. I would turn down the quality on my phone and down load them to my laptop and use a resizing app.
The MAIN thing is to find the category you want such as ( Chevy ) or Drive train, Electrical then find the Chevy area. IF you read some of the titles ( VERY IMPORTANT TO LABEL TOPICS ) you can find the same issue from other owners and how they fixed it. Sorry for the rambling. Oh, and most of any issues with these old rigs will be corrosion. Clean it up and usually it'll work awhile longer.