Manually wiring Radiator Fans

Started by solracem, January 04, 2019, 09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solracem

Anybody have any advice or diagrams for manually wiring an 89 p30 radiator fan? Or even troubleshooting one that was already manually wired? Mine was manually wired by the previous owner but, no longer turns on. You guys always give me great advice and I appreciate it.

Rickf1985

A lot depends on whether it was wired through the original relay and using the wiring that originally went to the temp sensor. The easiest way is to scrap the old wiring and wire in a new relay with new wiring and that way you know you have all good wiring and connections.

ClydesdaleKevin

I agree with Rick.  That is what I did with our old P30 chassis...rewired the fans completely and controlled them on the dash with a switch if I saw the temperature start to rise.  I also added a secondary transmission cooler with its own fan, which would come on with the same switch.  I wired the switch through a relay and a 40 amp fuse, so the switch wouldn't have to handle the voltage from three fans.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.