The trip from hell! Now the drive shaft ended up on the highway!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 15, 2018, 08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Been on the road all day, I think the cheaper ones will be just fine. All it is is a planetary gearset, nothing magical about it. In the meantime if you want to get a socket just remember how torque works. 100 lbs on the end of a one foot long bar is 100 ft/lbs. So if you are 200 lbs. and you have a 2 1/2 foot long bar and you sit on the end of it you have 500 foot/lbs of torque. Not dead exact but close enough for checking the nuts. Don't bounce in it since that will increase the torque substantially.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Rick!  I called the guys that did the tires today, and they assured me that the 1 inch drive air tool they used WAS an air driven torque multiplier (they do semi and other big truck and tractor tires all the time), and said I shouldn't worry on this trip.  When they checked the rear tire air pressure, they had to take the chrome covers off, and threw their air tool on the rear tires as well.  Good shop!  They have been in business for over 40 years, Cottondale Chevron. 

I am SO going to have to get one of these tools though!  Once we are back in Arizona and making money again, it will happen.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

RedneckExpress

Hey, Kevin :), sorry to see that the Nataulis finally reached the end of the road in a horrendous way, but glad she's not on her way to the junk yard just yet. 
Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://