The trip from hell! Now the drive shaft ended up on the highway!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 15, 2018, 08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

You did good! The transmission will be an Alison although I am surprised it is a 6 speed, I would have expected a 5 speed. BONUS!!! I believe that is an Alison 645 but I would have to look through my books, way too long since I worked on one. I was just kidding about adding power, t is quite easy to do but the more power you add the more life you take from the motor. Check the air filter and be SURE to get some biocide for the fuel. If it was sitting low on fuel it is sure to have algae in the tank. The biocide will kill the algae and it will end up in the fuel filters, so get some extra filters. They will not clog as fast as gas engine filters but you want to have a couple spares until you know the fuel is clean. It was a Florida vehicle, salt air, so check ALL electrical connections and especially the grounds. You are going to find a lot of them are rusty or corroded and that will be the main issue with a lot of your electrics. I think you made an excellent choice and I am actually jealous! If you need any help with the engine or electrical do not hesitate to call me. I will pm you my phone number.

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Joan!  We are probably going to keep and install it.  I don't think anyone would want to buy a used composting toilet.  Yuck!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Froggy1936

Hi Kev , Did you have ownership of the Glock transferred at a Federal Firearms dealer ?  Good luck on your purchase you have a lot of work ahead if you have to pull out by Jan 7th Dont forget the necc photo,s Happy New Year !  Frank & Louie
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

joanfenn

You would be surprised with what people will buy.  We have an extra one here now that we aren't using the motorhome.  A little pressure washing and it will look like new. :)

ClydesdaleKevin

I didn't bother Frank.  He showed me his valid Florida conceal carry license, and that was good enough for me, although we did note the firearms transfer with serial numbers on the bill of sale for future reference.  Private sales in Florida don't have to be recorded anywhere...we just did it for a chain of ownership in case the firearm ever ends up in the wrong hands.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Also...if anyone from Classic Winnebagos wants the Holiday Rambler FOR FREE, and you can arrange to have it towed to your location from Cottondale, FL by January 7th, it is yours!  We have a clean Florida title to sign over to you.

Kev and Patti.

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ClydesdaleKevin

ClydesdaleKevin

Here is another picture I took today.  I have NO idea what this thing is.  Maybe an engine brake? 

ClydesdaleKevin

ClydesdaleKevin

ClydesdaleKevin

Diesel pusher...230 HP with a 6 speed Allison transmission. 

ClydesdaleKevin

Rickf1985

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on December 29, 2018, 08:20 PM
Here is another picture I took today.  I have NO idea what this thing is.  Maybe an engine brake? 

That is an engine brake but I have no idea how it was hooked up. All the ones I worked on were mechanical engine brakes with solenoids. If that works then an engine brake is a great thing to have and saves a ton of wear on the brakes. Have to be careful in the wet and especially snow. With the small Cummins probably not and issue but the bigger engine where you have 700-800 cubic inches of oomph you can slide the tires on wet surfaces if you aren't careful if the brake is set up for too many cylinders. I am thinking that is may be an exhaust brake. Then again, the shift down light would indicate an engine brake.

ClydesdaleKevin

Gotta LOVE a pile full of manuals!!!  Everything is here, including all the Oshkosh/Allison/Cummings manuals. 

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Rick!  Probably the same way this crazy arse shifter selector is.  Remotely.  I hope it doesn't fail before we get to AZ.  I'm an engineer.  The more complicated it is, the more apt it is to fail. 

Froggy1936

Hi kev, Looking better all the time, Time to update your member info,  I have a Nephew in St Augustine that might be interested in the old one . want me to see if he is interested ?  Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

Yes Frank! I will give it to him for free, but he will have to get it towed out of here, in Cottondale, Florida.

HandyDan

Oh Look, Kevin finally gets leveling jacks!  You're going to love them.  Comes in handy when you need to change a tire.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Rickf1985

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on December 29, 2018, 09:01 PM
LOL Rick!  Probably the same way this crazy arse shifter selector is.  Remotely.  I hope it doesn't fail before we get to AZ.  I'm an engineer.  The more complicated it is, the more apt it is to fail. 
Well, I can't speak for the shifter but the Allison transmissions are pretty bulletproof and the load you are putting on it with that motorhome is very little compared to what it is designed for. Hopefully you will find the info for the engine brake in all of that. I am curious about that. Those shifters have been around for years and I have seldom seen issues with them. I have used them on big plow trucks and recently on a 75 foot bucket truck.

ClydesdaleKevin

So we just sold the motorcycle and carrier for 900.00, and someone came by today and bought the Holiday Rambler for a 1000.00.  Gotta love Craigslist!  Now we'll have enough to get us to Arizona, with a bit of a buffer for any emergencies that might come up until we get back to work.

The guy who bought the motorcycle and carrier came by first thing this morning, and we loaded the bike up on his van.  Then another guy came by and wants the RV, but knows it will take us a few more days to transfer everything to our new motorhome, so he gave us 500.00 down, and is coming back in a few days with another 500.00 and a tow truck. 

This nightmare has become a dream thanks to all of you!  Thank you all so much!

Kev and Patti

Froggy1936

Hey Hey Very Good Seems all is turning out well , Hope the new one is as dependable as the old one ,  Keep on Keeping on  Happy New Year  it will be full of a lot of new stuff   Frank &  Louie

joanfenn

Way to go.  Now we all know that you will have a Happy New Year.  Things do happen for a reason.  Give the pups a scratch for me.🚍✌