1973 M400 Dodge Brake Help

Started by Jonbbrew, November 21, 2018, 12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonbbrew

Well i am back and getting closer and closer to tackling my brake issue. What happens for me is my brakes are either on or off...feathering is impossible. I know basic small car/truck brake mechanics but these larger trucks are a bit out of my league. In completing a lot of searching it appears this is the only and best resource.
Alretta Truck Parts Inc.  P.O.Box 596  Sherborn, Massachusetts 01770-0596  brakeparts@mac.com Website address:http://ebiz.netopia.com/brakeparts/
My issue is after receiving a detailed email from Geoff as well as a hour and half phone discussion it appears the M400 has a lot of issues as it is a rare bird. It appears that some parts are very hard to find if at all and that most RV shops most likely never have worked on these rigs. With some parts being nonexistent and if the RV mechanic bangs away, it may not go well as it can make my RV DOA.
Has anyone else dealt with this dilemma and got past it? Tips? Tricks? Thoughts? Ideas?
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

postman

jonbbrew

:'(

I think you just told my fortune. I thought I learned my lesson when I bought an Opel and had to have carburetor parts machined. I wonder what is chinese for

W     I     N     N     E     B     A     G     O

Rickf1985

I would say convert to disc brakes but you are not going to find a bolt on kit. You will have to take a kit for some other heavy duty truck and modify it. And doing that with brakes means you better be damn good at welding and fabrication, and mechanical design.

roma

I have got  a lot of brake issues aswel but with the help of Dave I ve managed to get almost all the parts I needed.

The 2 boosters I bought by precision rebuilders
Brake shoes by rockauto. (had to make them in the right radius to get proper brake functioning)
Brake cilinders through rockauto. Brake hose idem New wheel bearings aswel
As an european I was again very surprised about the prices I had to pay. Even with the tax on it and shipping it was very very cheap.
The only thing I couldn t find where new drums .

To get it working again you need a good bleeding machine ,by hand it wont work.

khantroll

My suggestion? Swap a later year model with disc brakes on the front and a D80 in the rear. It won't be cheap (D80s with disc brakes cost around 1000), but you'll get better parts compatibility and four disc brakes

hest_c

I'm in the process of searching for a donor truck for a diesel swap. One of the things I keep thinking about is getting a dually that I could swap axles out on for disc brakes as well, at least in the front but all 4 corners would be really nice. I'm trying to stick to the Dodge lineup for the cummins but are there other trucks that make for good or easier axle swaps?

Rickf1985

You are going to be hard pressed to find a Dodge with a compatible front end. You are basically looking at pick up trucks and they are only two flavors of front ends, four wheel drive or two wheel drive. The two wheel drive is going to be independent front suspension similar to the Chevy P30 front end and will take a massive amount of engineering and fabrication to change from the solid beam axle. The four wheel drive front end could be easier adapted but you will have to lift the vehicle for clearance for the front differential. If you are going to do that then I would suggest using the entire driveline and make it four wheel drive. I am not the expert on the Dodge chassis, that would be Dave, but I know there were some that used disc brakes in the front.

hest_c

I did run across a RWD first gen cummins dually that I thought might work but I'm fairly certain it's drums in the rear and most likely up front as well, but it's a '90 and I believe those went both ways. Guess I'll just have to go and take a look at it! I also think the axle swap may be more of a challenge than I'm really prepared for too though, the engine swap might be enough for now  :D 

Rickf1985

A 90 first gen will have drum rear and disc front. You won't get disc rear until third gen.. I have a 98 24 valve 3500 2x4 and it is disc/drum. The problem with the front is that it is independent control arms and you need solid axle. You are also looking at 8 lug wheels so watch you weight ratings. The brakes will probably not be as big as the motorhome brakes.

hest_c

Thanks RickF, I'm not as familiar with the Dodges as I am with the Fords so this is good info, I'll stop looking at trucks as potential axle swaps as well and just find a solid donor for the motor swap!