Slider Window Re-Sealing Questions

Started by khantroll, March 07, 2018, 07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khantroll

Hi! I am getting ready to redo my sliding window, and I'm running myself in circles. In terms of seals, I think I need:

002324-02-000: Weather Strip Channel; 1/8" Glass (typical size in the 70's004363-01-000: Tape; Foam; 3/16"x1/2"; Grey

And either : 024096-02-000: Seal; Window Channel - Black (Z style Inner Window Frame)

Or
002283-01-000: Seal; Window Channel - Black (T style Inner Window Frame)

Which channel seal do I need for 1972?

What size is the felt?

How many inches/feet of the channel seal do I need to do the big sliding window?

How much felt?

As the foam tape isn't available anymore, does anyone have some preferred replacement options?

Thanks!

M & J

M & J

TerryH

A reference and link to EACH of the plethora of unknown numbers you have posted would greatly assist answers.
Photos as well as a detailed description of what your desired end results may be would also be helpful.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Those are Winnebago part numbers. Problem is that we would have to search the catalog to find the parts.

khantroll

Hi all,

Unfortunately, those are the only part numbers I can find. Neither the parts catalog nor the repair manual lists any separate pictures of those items, nor gives their specifications.

My goal is to to completely rehab these windows. I am going to pull the frame apart, remove the glass, clean the glass panes, and re-assembly the windows with new seals and felt all the way around. I am also going to apply window tint and possibly upgrade my screen material.

I called Mobility RV, and they have the channel weather stripping in 25ft rolls for $48. They also have the "Z" style channel seal for $1.06 per square foot. If we determine that I need the T channel, I *think* steele seals offers something like it.

They don't have a listing for the felt, which worst case scenario I can buy some generic 3/16th inch felt and cut it down.

The foam tape is, I think, what they actually use for the seal behind the window frame itself.

I really don't want to pull the window before I have the parts, because it will leave a gaping hole in the side of the rig and Arkansas weather is so unreliable (especially at this time of the year). I'll have to order anything in, so it'd be in pieces for around a week or more.

Thanks!

TerryH

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

khantroll

Terry, thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one. My take away from it is that:

1. ) I am going to have pull the window if I am to have any hope of matching it.

2.) I am most likely hosed.  :(

khantroll

Well, a disheartening update. After months of back and forth, I got this email from Steele today:

We are returning your original sample piece.  Unfortunately, we do not have anything similar, and at this time would not be able to manufacture it.  We do not have the equipment needed to run plastic, just the rubber seals.  And with that, our toolroom has a backlog of molds and dies to make.  We are sorry we are unable to be of service with this, but thank you for giving us the opportunity to research it!

Sincerely,

Matt Misener / tlg

Please let us know if we can be of further service.

Sincerely,

Tracy Goodwin

Steele Rubber Products

Accounting Dept.

6180 Hwy 150 E

Denver, NC  28037

704-483-9343 ext. 281

srosa707

Khantroll, I tried to respond to your PM but your box is full.  Call Sacramento Auto Glass and Mirror on Florin Road.  Talk to the manager and tell him another guy came in a few months ago with a Winnebago frame and they did his rubber (me).  Not sure if you saw my thread or not but I did a detailed breakdown on this.  PM if you have any more questions.

khantroll

Hi Srosa,

Awesome! I'm sorry about the inbox. I thought I cleared enough out of it. I'll give them a call.

Thank you!

Jonbbrew

Update on this as i am trying to run down all the parts to re-seal my 73 D24.

The one missing seal is the issue.
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan

khantroll

Hi John,

I'll have some info soon. It's been a busy couple of months. I think I've only gotten to work on the old girl twice. That's a discussion for another thread though.

So far, Srosa's lead is the best possible source.

Jonbbrew

Quote from: khantroll on October 24, 2018, 08:25 AM
Hi John,

I'll have some info soon. It's been a busy couple of months. I think I've only gotten to work on the old girl twice. That's a discussion for another thread though.

So far, Srosa's lead is the best possible source.

Ok thanks. I am too far away to make that glass place my friend. I am thinking of approaching my local glass shop but my guess is they will have no clue being is such a small town. Pretty sad that only 2 of the 3 parts are being made.
Keep Er' Goin' Eh!

Jonathan