Help to solve leak by the stairs, right as you walk in the door.

Started by 73WinnieIndian, October 13, 2018, 05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73WinnieIndian

It is really weird. The step up to the driver area.  There are streaks of water on the carpet coming down and it is also wet in the corner. I can try to take pictures, but we can't figure out where the water is running in from. The ceiling is dry....Thank Goodness and due to the info on this forum. I re-did all that. So Success there!

Yet, now seeing this leak. The wall seems dry. Hoping someone else has figured it out. Thanks in advance.

73WinnieIndian

73WinnieIndian

The carpet doesn't seem wet on the top. Yet there are streaks coming down that are wet. I'm likely going to have to rip up the carpet and just look, but wanted to ask first since it doesn't make sense.

73WinnieIndian

Finally ripped it up, but can't figure out the where still. Looks like the water ran up on top until it hit where the lap belt is bolted in the floor. Yet still trying to figure out the source. Might have to run a hose tomorrow and see if we can see it. Didn't really want more water in there, but seems to be the technique.

plockit007

Unfortunately that would be the best way. Good Luck happy hunting :)ThmbUp

73WinnieIndian

It is pouring rain and I had already pulled up the seatbelts and the carpeting trying to find this leak before.
You were not kidding about the source possibly being far away. Looks like it is leaking from the screws in the metal above the windows in front.  So the metal pieces on the front of the Winnebago.

I will search the forum to see if anyone has suggested what to use to caulk that so I don't use the wrong stuff. If someone reads this, please message me or let me know. Thanks.

postman

First I didnt catch which windows in the front. I found the side windows (specifically the drains) accumulated crud causing it to leak inside. But this is just a guess.

73WinnieIndian

Welllllllll, guess what? That side window is leaking also.   ???    Just like you said crud and old rubber. Luckily only the drivers side.  Geez, my husbands going to want to roll this sucker out into the alley if the projects keep coming.

It is too dark to take a good picture right now. I just know that when I re-did the top of the motorhome the silicone stuff was harder to get off and I didn't put  it there. I used the eterna bond tape everyone recommended and that is way better than that old goopy mess we used before on our old motorhome. It took longer to clean and prep everything than to apply the tape. So grateful for this group. Nothing has leaked using that.

The other leak is above the front windows. There are little screws just above the rubber strip area. Water is dripping off the screws. This is just above the rubber seal around the front drivers windows.

73WinnieIndian

Hello, I already read the FAQ and didn't see this specifically. I know many said don't use silicone. I need to seal this up before it rains again.
The water is coming in at the screws, so either the little lip (I don't know the technical name for it) over the window or the top one or both.

What would you suggest to use to seal this up?

73WinnieIndian

I think the water is coming in here. What is the best sealant to use here?

73WinnieIndian

Sorry, for some reason I copied the same picture twice. Sealant to use here just above the red line.

Elandan2

Don't forget to check around the clearance lamps and the roof seam at the front above those leaks.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

Urethane caulk but I think the leak is higher up than that. Like Rick said, took at the roof seams and clearance lamps. You will have to remove the molding, clean and recaulk. If there is silicone on there now it ALL has to be removed before trying to put anything on it. Nothing will adhere to old silicone including new silicone. That is why is it such a bad product to use. plus it has no adhesive properties.

73WinnieIndian

Okay, thanks for the input. Might just have to get a heavy tarp then for this next round of rain. I will just use the Urethane caulk for now if I can to fill that seam up.

I just re-did all the flat seams on the roof and thanks to you all I cleaned it all off and put the tape suggested. That was so much easier to apply than that old putty stuff.

So the metal pieces have to come off then? Clean it all up and then put the tape and reapply? 

Oh boy, I was trying to get this all done before it rains again. 

Rickf1985

Sorry to say but proper preparation is the key to getting the job done right and making sure it will last more than one storm. Just adding caulk on top of a dirty joint will do nothing, the caulk will not adhere and you will have wasted your time. Sometimes a large tarp is better than rushing the job and then having to d it  all over again.

73WinnieIndian

Thanks Rick, luckily I have read enough of your posts to know that and others here. I didn't do a proper job. There is no way I could take the whole metal strip off  and get under it. That will have to be a different job. I did clean the whole seam and remove all the old crud and cleaned it with acetone and then I applied the durabond tape. I had a thick roll, but cut it in half and applied it all across that front seam and there was a spot on the side where when I picked the putty stuff it was wide open. Hello, big leaky spot I found you. So I sealed all of that up. It doesn't look pretty and I do have a trash bag taped to the window to prevent that from leaking again for now as well. So far it has been raining and there has been 0 leakage of water on the inside. So Yay! I'm super happy to avoid more water in there and then I can work on replacing the stinky carpet once I'm sure it is done leaking.  I do appreciate the help of all and I did look at the clearance lights and they look ready for a new seal soon, but so far that area is still holding. Yet, will replace it when I have time as it looks old and ready to be changed. THANK YOU!