Mystery roof leak.

Started by acenjason, October 04, 2018, 04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acenjason

Hello all,
I have a 1975 Winnebago brave D 21. I have a leak in my roof. I have already sealanted the whole thing with extra right above where the water is dripping into the coach as well as a 3 to 4 inch strip down the sides. It is still leaking. The leak is coming from the low corner of the motorhome it is low there because of where I am parked. I don't know where the water is coming from. I think it might be running down hill from somewhere else and leaking where it is because it is a low point. Does anyone have any idea how I can find where the water is coming in so I can seal it?

Thank you for reading.

TerryH

I would suspect your best choice is going to be a water test using a garden hose on low/no nozzle, one other person and a lot of patience.
If you wish I can tell you how I have done them successfully.
It would help to know which corner of the roof is low and where the drips show up.
Because of the way water travels (think 'path of least resistance') the entry point may be many feet from and much higher than the area of drips.
It may take a few hours to locate, but rot repair will take much more time.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

acenjason

Thanks for the reply. Actually, we ended up sprinkling fine dirt on the roof and watching where it went. Now if I can just get it sealed. Trying to get sealant down is going to be hard. It snowed here yesterday. Trying to get sealant to set up will be a challenge.

Thanks for your help full idea🙂

BrandonMc

on mine, i found that two screw holes were leaking, and it took the water from the left middle to front right corner, and would drip inside the rv.

Just go over the entire roof, and patch and seal and tape anything and everything. Maybe reseal the vents or what looks iffy.