AC Removal??

Started by Brave Frank, September 14, 2018, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brave Frank

Hi all! I have a lean-to storage cover on the side of my barn I would love to store my 1976 Brave under for the rainy winter here in the PNW. Problem is the AC unit is too tall to fit by 4 inches! How complicated is it to remove the unit and replace later? (Of course I will replace the seal when I get it running again) :) Until then I just don't want to tarp it. I know this is a trouble spot anyway as I have some interior cracking on the lid near this area. Probably will find some wood rot too. Please advise or direct me to a similar post as I havent found one.
Thank you
BTW it still works great! Cover is not going to make it though....sun baked plastic is shot!
"DO or DO NOT.......There is no TRY"

Rickf1985

Most are four bolts up from below and the AC wiring connection and then lift it off but they are 80-100 lbs.. I took mine off and replaced it with another in less than an hour and that included cleaning the area under the unit.

Brave Frank

Thanks! It just doesnt seem that heavy to me....I have a D-19 shorty. Looks like it might weigh the same as a large window unit
"DO or DO NOT.......There is no TRY"

TerryH

Regardless, keep in mind it is a dead lift from floor level, a couple of steps across the roof, and then manoeuvering it down a ladder.
Second body definitely helps.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Berlin-Tioga

I removed mine not long ago. It was heavy as f..k!
In the end I put it on a fork lift to get it dow. No way to carry it down stairs or what ever on my own.
Call me weak, but I also did not want do be on the 39 years old roof with two people.
The roof is now caved in in this area. Have to reinforce this region over the winter.

Are modern AC-units any lighter?

Greetings from Berlin,

Ben