Tube Flap issues and repair

Started by legomybago, September 05, 2018, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

legomybago

I've been seeing issues with my 3 year old Coker tube flaps deteriorating at the valve stem hole, and eventually causing holes in my tubes near the valve stem. The Coker flap is thin compared to say a Michelin (obsolete) flap. I'm not sure how edit my pictures with text, so I'll just write this paragraph and you can look at the pics....You'll see the deteriorated flap bulging out through the valve stem area of the wheel. You'll also see the whole in the tube where the rubber is crusty from the atmosphere passing through the deteriorated flap causing a rupture. I removed the flap, cleaned up the valve stem area and applied a 5" patch. I then flipped the flap around so the opposite side of the flap was supporting the tube when re-installed, if that makes any sense? lol
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

legomybago

Here are some more pics....I placed the patch so it would be exposed to the elements before the flap. The last pic is of the tire/wheel full of air, you can see the patch/flap is now set back inside the rim like it's supposed to be.

Rickf1985

I have changed a LOT of tires but I have never seen a rim with a slot for the valve stem!

legomybago