Microwave Amp Draw?

Started by pastorjeep, August 11, 2018, 11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pastorjeep

Ok guys first post here. I have a 1989/90? Winnie Warrior 427RT. It has 39K miles and has had three owners, the last two being local. It has had less than 5K miles in since 04' and 15 miles since 13'. Yes 15, Lol. So normal things getting it road worthy; tires, alt, calipers, gen voltage reg, fuel lines, a/c comp, liquid EPDM roof, new overhead bunk, and next is fresh fluids throughout. Now that mech. is getting inline I am thinking about interior upgrades. It has the original microwave (ie. big, low power, no turntable) that works fine, The question that was floating in my head was the efficiency of the older tech vs a new smaller model? My home micro is half as big and cooks better and was only $119. What are your thoughts on upgrading even though the other one "works"? 

Froggy1936

Turn table is better Depends on how much you use it to cook with, Occasional defrosting and warming any working one will do ! Frank

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

TerryH

I live in my RV which has the original microwave. I do use it a lot, and agree with Frank that a turntable would be nice.
As for size, depends on your needs. You can nuke more than one thing at a time.
I find they cook rice in a $15 microwave rice cooker far better than the $110 electric rice cooker that I gave away after trying a microwave one.
Bear in mind that if you do replace the microwave and use the replacement in the same cupboard you will need one that can be enclosed.
Efficiency wise I think today's appliances are far more efficient than those of 30 or so years ago.
A suggestion - as you are going over various systems don't ignore your propane. Lines and regulator can 'gum up' over time. Results vary, but generally not nice.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

pastorjeep

Great point on the propane. I have used it once on the stove top. The only issue was the solenoid power switch panel is pretty ratty and needs replacing. If I held the panel and pushed the button the light came on and the solenoid opened and I got propane to the burners. Where can i find a replacement panel? I need burners for the stove top as well. I am using a wire grate from a little grill to cook on. I would like some original style cast iron burner grates. I have not tried the hot water heater yet either.

DVan

Quote from: pastorjeep on August 11, 2018, 11:51 AM
It has the original microwave (ie. big, low power, no turntable) that works fine, The question that was floating in my head was the efficiency of the older tech vs a new smaller model? My home micro is half as big and cooks better and was only $119. What are your thoughts on upgrading even though the other one "works"?

I did some testing on my RV microwave (same vintage as yours, but it has convection as well) vs. my residential one:

Residential (not new, but ~10yo): Running: 1600W (~13A@120Vac) (would vary with model, but your's should be similar given its price), phantom load(when it's not running) 1.5W, Estimated daily usage: 410 Wh/day.

RV: Microwaving: 1200W (~10A@120Vac), Convection mode: 1100W, phantom load: 4.3W, Low/Defrost: 560W, Estimated daily consumption: 627Wh/d (assuming I baked bread in it once a week)

Another thing to consider is ventilation if mounted under cabinet/over cooktop: you'd have to rig up some thing for a residential model to cool itself or it'll overheat internally and quit working, at least until it cooled back down. Alternatively, you could use it on the counter as you would at home.
1988 Itasca Windcruiser 32RQ
Semi-retired Artist/Flyer

Rickf1985

I just lost my microwave in my 89 to a 220 volt spike. I thought I found the burnt components and replaced them but still no work. Since it is a convection unit I certainly am not going to replace it with the same due to the outrageous prices on them. Newer inverter style microwaves do not use as much power as the old ones did. I just checked mine in the kitchen and it is pulling 9 amps in high and it is rated at 1250 watts. I didn't think to check the lower settings, that is where the inverters are substantially different.