Freezer freezes well, fridge is luke warm

Started by 87Itasca, August 08, 2018, 08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

87Itasca

Hi all,

I have an original Dometic 12/120V fridge in my RV.  After nearly killing myself last summer from the vapors it vented in the RV, I replaced the whole cooling element.

I did everything as instructed, and with the exception of the hottest days, the fridge would maintain the correct temperature.

I always leave it running, and I always keep it parked on level ground.

Here recently, the freezer still works just fine, but the fridge would always be around 60 or so.  Well, this morning, I pulled a drink out of the fridge and it was the same temperature as the ambient temperature. I use the 'icemaker' between the recliners as a mini fridge, and it works well for that.

What all should I check here? I don't have any additional fans installed to increase circulation, but it wasn't needed in '87, and it really shouldn't be needed now. If I was warming up when it was 90+ outside, I get it, but it was 74 last night, and I dare say it is warmer in the fridge than outside.

Rickf1985

Is it the same on AC as it is on gas? Could be a clogged orifice or clogged flue.

87Itasca

Usually gas mode will run for a day or so, then the 'CHECK' light will come on. Gonna try and see.

Maybe the element is going bad. Fridge has definitely thawed and refrozen.

Element is original, and the fridge will pop a GFCI every time the fridge is turned on. I wired up a 30A proper RV plug and leave it hooked to that 24/7.

Froggy1936

If you did not apply the mastic as directed on the back of the refrigerator wall where it contacts the cooling tubes The freezer will work but the fridge will not !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

87Itasca

Hi Frank,

I followed the instructions I was given when I replaced it, and I do remember doing that part.

That being said, with it run on gas for 12 hours, no real difference. I switched it back on AC last night. It is colder now, but not cold enough to safely store perishables.

Froggy1936

When you reassembled the unit did you install all the screws that pull the cooing tubes tight to the back of the refrigerator wall?  They all seem to work better on 110V than on gas ?  Do you have any fans installed in the chimney ? they will help a lot also leave the inspection door open for max circulation, wile parked. Mine is set @ 4 on a regulator that goes to 5 outside inspection Door open 2 computer cooling fans running 24/7 at the top of chimney A battery operated circulation fan under the cooling fins operating on 110 V ,The fridge and freezer are pretty well packed but it is Maintaining zero in the freezer and 34o in the fridge ! OS temps in the 80 to 100 o range   I replaced the cooling unit in 2014 .
Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.