Repair/Replacement Of Driver's Side Rear Bumper Endcap?

Started by Jamo, June 16, 2018, 08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamo

I cracked the rear bumper end cap on the driver's side of my 89 Chieftain. Anyone ever try to repair this piece? It seems to be some kind of plastic, just under 1/8" thick. To replace it, it looks like the entire rear bumper has to come off. Is this true? I'm not sure Winnebago will have the part either. Any ideas?
John
"In your guts you know he's nuts"

M & J

M & J

Rickf1985

Don't be surprised if they have it. It is that kind of strange stuff that they seem to have in stock. I will look at mine tomorrow but aren't they plastic?

TerryH

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

skloon

I believe it is abs can be repaired with plumbing cement , I dented mine and got the dent out with a hair dryer

Jamo

Here are some pictures of the damaged bumper corner.
John

Rickf1985

Sorry, It was 95 degrees and humid out today and air quality was "unhealthy" so they say. I was out for 20 minutes and I had to come in because I could not breath. Stayed in the rest of the day and did not get a chance to go out and look at mine for ideas. I have some surgery tomorrow and I can't go there with respiratory issues or they will cancel. As was mentioned you could try ABS primer and glue, I would try an out of sight spot first. Or a plastic welding set up and if it is ABS then use ABS plumbing drain pipe as the filler material. You can use a soldering iron as the "welder".

Jamo

Thanks for the reply, Rick. I hope your surgery is a success and that the weather and your health gets better.
I got a hold of Winnebago's parts department today and they actually have the part that I broke. Unfortunately it's $175.00 and it's unpainted. Guess I'll repair the one I've got. My thirty -plus years of building and repairing wooden and fiberglass boats should allow me to come up with some sort of goo or epoxy or plastic welding that will work.
John

Rickf1985

I figured they may have it, I failed to mention that you will pay for that luxury. :D  Wait till you need one of the vent covers, yea, they are also proprietary and they do stock them.

bnlfan

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 19, 2018, 03:31 PM
I figured they may have it, I failed to mention that you will pay for that luxury. :D  Wait till you need one of the vent covers, yea, they are also proprietary and they do stock them.

I had to replace the vent cover over the bathroom exhaust fan.  I ended up just getting a dog house type cover with screen on it.  No the bathroom does not stay air tight but water and bugs can not get in.  At least not from there.