New Electrical/Possible Ground Issue

Started by 87Itasca, August 07, 2018, 08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

87Itasca

Hi all,

Been keeping some stuff in the RV fridge and icemaker the last few days. Didn't notice this problem yesterday, but it appears to have popped up overnight.

When I open the side door, the power steps extend, but slowly, as if it was running on battery power with a half dead battery. I always leave them on maintainers, so I knew that wasn't the issue.

So I go inside, and the fridge monitor panel is off. Open the fridge, and everything seems cold still.

I turn to my left and realize I left the water pump running. I flick it off, and the fridge lights back up, but is "reset". I usually leave it on 4 or 5, and it defaults to "3" when power is disconnected.

So, I check the icemaker (mini fridge) and that's running fine. I go to open the door again, the steps move out slowly, and I look back, and the whole fridge panel is flashing. The steps seem to extend all the way, but I hear this clicking sound, like a relay from the area. I shut the door, the steps retract, and I turn them off with the toggle switch by the door. Fridge turns back on normally, on "3".

Where is a good place to start here? The camper itself hasn't moved in months, thanks to a landscaper busting out the rear window, that just recently has been fixed.

Rickf1985

Check each battery separately to make sure one of them did not die. If it did it will drag the other one down with it. They can die even on a maintainer. That is exactly what it sounds like, add a load and everything dies.

87Itasca

This shouldn't matter if its on shore power though, should it?

I do have leave the aux battery switch on though...

EDIT:

I turned off the AUX BATTERY switch, and the power step, fridge, and control panel (likely other things too) were not running. The central fan was running fine, as was the icemaker.

Turned the AUX BATTERY switch back on, and everything seems fine now. Steps engage and retract as they always have. Maybe pitting on the AUX Battery relay from staying on for a few years? I'd think the stuff should still work with them disconnected and it on shore power though. All fuses and breakers are good in distribution box. I will load test batteries this weekend.

Rickf1985

It is entirely possible that there was just corrosion built up on the contacts of the relay and by switching it you cleaned them off. I would switch it a few more times to be sure it is clean and also to verify the fix. When you turn that relay off it totally disconnects everything in the coach electrically.