72 brave jwindow replacement

Started by fierce beagle, July 31, 2018, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fierce beagle

I have a 72 brave that I broke the passenger slider window stationary glass.  How and where do I find a replacement?

srosa707

fierce beagle

Thanks for the reply.  I took the glass to the local glass shop.  They said they would have to special order the 1/8" laminated glass.  All they had on hand was 1/4". 
How much did you pay for your glass?

srosa707

Rickf1985

Are you in the US? The side windows in the US are safety glass, not laminated. Probably not much difference price wise but big difference in glass type.

TerryH

Rick is correct. Safety glass (tempered) can be done in 1/8 or 3mm. On the other hand laminated glass cannot. It is made with two sheets of glass and a laminate interlay between. The accepted minimum thickness for the interlay is .060. The minimum glass thickness for lamination is 2.5mm with 3mm being the preferred minimum. Per sheet.
3mm twice with an .060 interlay is very close to 1/4".
If someone told you they had to special order 1/8 laminated you may wish to seriously consider going elsewhere.
FYI the reason behind the requirement for laminated in a windshield is to help keep the occupants in the vehicle in the case of a crash. Most heavy duty equipment is required to have a minimum of an .030 interlay which which makes it even more difficult for a projectile - boulder? - to enter or the operator to be ejected.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Terry, I am curious why in the European countries it is reversed and the windshield is safety glass and the side windows are laminated. At least it was that way on older cars in the 70's and earlier. Don't know about now. If you watch those car crash dash cam videos which mostly seem to come from Russia you see a lot of safety glass windshields on trucks.

srosa707

Agreed.  I didn't notice that you mentioned laminated glass for this repair.  You need tempered glass for this.