Hello. 1988 27’ Winnebago SunCruiser M27rq

Started by 88CruiserM27rq, July 29, 2018, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

88CruiserM27rq

Hello,
I’ve been reading post from this site since spring 2017. You guys have had the most relevant information for my Winnie. I bought it from my aunt in NH for $1k the winter before. When spring came around, I went her house and replaced the front flex brake lines and bled them. My wife and I then drove it home to Mass about 30 miles away. It was a dog, sluggish, and may have even died a time or two. We stayed on the back roads and were able to make it home. From then on out, I began the extensive process of completely remodeling and repairing EVERY component on her.
She had 48k miles when I got her and was owned  by an older lady that lived in it.
It has the P37 chassis and 454 bbc motor with the RV “turbo 400” transmission, and topped with the Rochester Quadrajet.
It has the All wheel disk brakes, air bag suspension f/r, and mostly stock set up. I’ve done a very extensive tune up that includes:
Carb rebuild
Air filter
Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor
All drive belts
Thermostat and fluid
Proper r12-r134a conversion, condenser, drier, orifice tube, flush, vacuum, fill
Trans fluid and filter
All fuel filters replaced twice
Electric fuel pump, mechanical pump, holly regulator and liquid gauge at carb
Starter

Chassis Work:
All rotors and premium pads
Transmission parking brake cable and shoes
All shocks and manual fill airbags
Ball joints
Lower control arms
Tie rods
Sway bar bushings
Front end alignment
New front tires, good rear tires and spare

Interior:
Completely removed everything and painted walls, cabinets, doors, and hardware
Vinyl flooring
Removed the fabric headliner and painted with texture paint.
High flow shower head.
Led light bulbs, led kitchen light bar, recessed lighting

Exterior:
There was delamination on both sides. I cut out large sections and I used 1/8” ply and put large plastic anchors into the insulation foam. I spray glued both sides and applied the ply to the wall and then used screws into the anchors to ensure it didn’t separate. Then I contact cemented fiberglass reinforced panels to the plywood. I used fiberglass bondohair to blend the repair with the existing body. Then I used enamel spray paint as a temporary cover until I could get to warmer climate where I have professional acrylic urethane paint. But the weather in FL isn’t really good for an outdoor paint job.
Appliances:
Refrigerator Dinosaur motherboard
Furnace Dinosaur motherboard, solenoid,

There’s a lot more that I’ve done but can’t think of it right now, but I’ll add to it as I come up with it.
Last winter we started to head down to Florida. We hadn’t even got out of NY and kept on having fuel delivery problems. I had to replace the mechanical fuel pump which got us to North Carolina. Then it began having problems starting and the starter need to be replaced.
We eventually got down to FL and once it was parked, I went to move it but it wouldn’t run for more than 2 minutes. So now I’m going to see if I can find out what’s going on with it, hopefully with your guys help. I’ll make a separate post dedicated to the symptoms.

Thanks for reading

Rickf1985

I would love to see pictures of the work you did on the delamination. I am looking at the same thing and I have been thinking of how to work with the FRP panels. Could you e-mail me some pics to rickf1985@comcast.net?

Oz

Welcome to CWVRV!  You're always at home with your friends here.  They've been through it all and as much as they help others, it's great to learn from what you've done!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

BrandonMc

sounds a lot like my project. 2k turns into 20 real quick. hopefully it's all worth it! I'm about to drop the gas tank for a second time, and replace the lines like should have been done first time in there.