Sanitizing the fresh water tank

Started by baughhumbug, July 19, 2018, 11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baughhumbug

Planning to take the 85 chieftain out for a test camp this weekend to I can plug her in and see if the ac works, etc. Total RV newbie here. I have done some reading on how to cleanse and flush the water system but it doesn't really seem like enough. I can't tell that there is anyway to see into the tank and I'm kind of grossed out by what might be hanging out in there given the heavy mouse infestation she had. Is there a way to remove the tank so I can see in it and do a good rinse for mouse droppings and corpses before filling with bleach water and rinsing? I don't even have any idea if the tanks were fully emptied prior to it sitting for a few years. Any other tips?

Rickf1985

I don't know about the 85 22 footer but my 89 31 foot the tank is built in to the point that you would have to deconstruct one whole side to get to it. I seriously doubt any mice could get into the tank unless they chewed through the tank itself. They are not going to fit through the standard plumbing. As far as water left over, well that is a good question. I mixed my Clorox solution extra strong and filled it about three quarters full and then drove around on back roads for a while to slosh it around and I repeated this twice after rinsing each time. That is about all you are going to be able to do. You could put some iodide tablets in there, worked for us in the military in Vietnam. I don't even know where you would find them anymore. The Clorox should be more than enough to clean it up but you are not giving yourself much time for it to work since this is Thursday. You might just want to use that water for washing and take bottled water for drinking. Generally you want to leave the chlorine in there for a day or two so it has time to kill off all of the bacteria.

baughhumbug

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 19, 2018, 12:09 PM
I don't know about the 85 22 footer but my 89 31 foot the tank is built in to the point that you would have to deconstruct one whole side to get to it. I seriously doubt any mice could get into the tank unless they chewed through the tank itself. They are not going to fit through the standard plumbing. As far as water left over, well that is a good question. I mixed my Clorox solution extra strong and filled it about three quarters full and then drove around on back roads for a while to slosh it around and I repeated this twice after rinsing each time. That is about all you are going to be able to do. You could put some iodide tablets in there, worked for us in the military in Vietnam. I don't even know where you would find them anymore. The Clorox should be more than enough to clean it up but you are not giving yourself much time for it to work since this is Thursday. You might just want to use that water for washing and take bottled water for drinking. Generally you want to leave the chlorine in there for a day or two so it has time to kill off all of the bacteria.
This makes me feel better. And agreed on not drinking it at this point. I've stocked up on bottled water. Part of the reason for the trip is just to fill the tanks and see if I have any cracks/leaks and learn how to empty them.

BamBam

Rick- Thank you for your sacrifices and service! As for wanting to add anything like water purifying tablets to the tank, you can find them at any good quality sporting goods store. Heck, maybe even Walmart may have them in the camping section? I would think you'd have to dump a couple of bottle of them as I think each tablet only works with a couple gallons. Good Luck