Dometic Cool Cat Conversation

Started by srosa707, July 12, 2018, 10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srosa707

Does anyone have any experience with the Dometic Cool Cat Heat Pump system?

Dometic Cool Cal Link

The previous owner of my '73 Brave re-roofed the rig and removed the rooftop A/C unit.  He also installed a center brace bar that runs the length of the RV right down the middle of the inside of the roof.  Adding a rooftop unit now would be quite the hassle.  This Cool Cat unit produces 10,500 BTU's of cooling power which is the less than the 13,500 the rooftop units produce.  I have not seen or heard of one of these being installed in a full size RV, just pop-up trailers.  PO added a "roll-around" A/C unit in the closet and it produces 8,000 BTU's which has proven to be insufficient in the California summer heat.

For this discussion, I am primarily interested in the cooling ability of this unit, not the heating.  If anyone has experience with one of these, I'd love to hear about it.

Rickf1985

Someone here just recently posted about a heat pump installation. Do a search for "heat pump". Can't be too many of them on here.

Found it'

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,14533.msg89481.html#msg89481

srosa707

Saw that.  Not a Cool Cat and not the setup I want to run.  Just wondering if anyone has experience with the Cool Cat?

1969dc22

I installed the 10000 btu heat pump in my 22 ft.  we went camping a couple of weeks ago in very humid 100 degree weather. it did an great job removing the humidity and a pretty good job cooling. Needs more ducting to spread around the cool air. i will be adding that soon. what i worry about the cool cat unit is i dont know if it would be able to cool the entire camper because i dont know if it could put out the airflow. it looks like it has just one outlet coming out of a cabinet. in my experience that would not be enough.

khantroll

My 15k roof top air struggles to keep my 24ft rig cool, and that is with a thicker roof and more insulation then it came with from the factory. Have you considered a mini-split? I've known people who put them in trailers with great success. Probably not the most elegant solution though.

srosa707

Khantrol, I have not looked into the mini split.  Can you point me in that direction so I can take a look? I am not familiar with them at all.  Also, what AC unit do you have on the roof?  Modern unit or older?

khantroll

I have the modern Dometic Brisk Air 2. I bought it brand new about two years ago. It appears that they have discontinued that line after they absorbed atwood, but it's a 15k roof top air conditioner.

A mini-split is a type of air conditioner similar to central air in a house, minus the duct work. Here is one example video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFkLrGx6la8

srosa707

I brought my Brave home from storage last week and used it over the weekend.  I took some measurements and it looks like I will not have a good spot to mount the Cool Cat so I will be looking into a rooftop unit.