House Battery location

Started by Grog, July 06, 2018, 05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grog

I recently scored 2 Trojan T-105 batteries at the right price.
Now my dilemma is how to install them.  The original single house battery is under the hood inside the fender. This is fine for one battery but not two .  So now I need ideas on where and how to secure them in or under the camper. Keeping in mind they weigh 64lbs each and they will need to be checked every month for water level.
I'm good at fabricating stuff , I just could use a little input on this
Thanks

Rickf1985

I am not familiar with that year coach so can't help with location but I can tell you they have to be somewhere that they are exposed to outside ventilation due to the gases they emit when charging. So no inside or in a closed compartment.

LJ-TJ

Grog

Well so far I've talked to a friend about this and got the suggestion of getting a spare tire winch to raise and lower the batteries with a frame work of some type to allow for a more solid connection to the chassis .  Trouble is that they would be right next to the liquid propane tank. But they would be closer to the power distribution area.
Thoughts on this idea. ?

Rickf1985

The batteries themselves next to the tank is not an issue as long as they are not in the same compartment and also as long as the wiring is not in the gas compartment. This is a "Use common sense" deal here. You do not want any chance of an electrical short with the gas piping or tank. Proximity of the batteries is not a problem as long as all of the electrical stuff is in a different compartment.

Using a tire lift seems like a pretty good idea but once in the up position you will need to bolt it there to prevent it from falling out. Or find some sort of locking mechanism.

BamBam

Isn't there a aux batt box on your rig? From what I'm learning, most seem to be behind on the drivers side rocker area in a slide out tray?

Grog

The driver's  side of the camper has the black water tank followed by the exhaust.  The passenger side has the 60gal propane tank,  followed by the open area I'm considering installing the batteries .  Behind the rear wheels is the generator compartment  and the gasoline hoses on the passenger side.

Grog

BTW this is a 1977 GMC Itasca 22 ft class C.

Grog

Hmm , I took a couple pic's with the phone camera set at the lowest resolution but it still to big.

Grog

Here's an update ,  I designed a battery holding system working out some details but I will try to post some pics when it's done.  This is a heavy duty holder since the batteries weigh in at 128 lbs together.