Introducing Luann - 85 Chieftain

Started by baughhumbug, July 06, 2018, 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baughhumbug

I have so anxiously been awaiting approval so I could show you my find! I've never owned an RV, I'm not mechanically inclined but I do have some renovation experience and I've always known I wanted to slow travel the US. Have a few (ok 9) years until my daughter graduates and I can hit the road long term but I've perused the sale ads for years just to know whats out there and what price point I might be looking at when I was finally ready to dive in... and then I found her and I couldn't pass it up. She was listed for $2,000 on craigslist and I talked him down to $1k AND SHE RUNS. And honestly was in pretty impeccable condition.

Guy I got her from bought it with the intention to fix her up and she ended up sitting for 2 years with no work done. Since I got her Mothers day weekend, I had a tune up done (sparks, oil, etc), got new tires (they were badly cracked), replaced the electric vent fan since the old one was missing the cover and just had a piece of styrofoam piled with rocks to keep water from getting in, and dove in on renovations. Even though everything was in pretty good shape, there were A LOT of mice and the smell was pretty wretched. I still have a lengthy to do list (many of which I will probably be consulting here on) but she's coming back together nicely. Completely blows my mind how well it runs and that things like the lights, control panel, alarm clock (?!) and the fridge still work after all these years - feel like it was built better than most houses I've owned. Haven't had a chance to test the ac or heat yet but planning a maiden voyage to a nearby lake in a few weeks so I can test some of those things out. Anyway sorry for rambling. Below are her before pics and one of the current state of her a bit disassembled but with fresh paint.

LJ-TJ

Well welcome to the world of insanity. Keep us posted. We like lots of pictures. If you run into any trouble you've come to the right place. :)rotflmao The only stupid question here is the one you don't ask. :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

You say lots of mice so that means to be sure to get a real good look see under the dash for any chewed wiring. Mice love to use the insulation from the wires for nesting. Ask TJ what an electrical fire can do! It looks really nice, glad to see tires were on top of your list, a lot of people over look them.

TerryH

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 06, 2018, 02:48 PM
You say lots of mice so that means to be sure to get a real good look see under the dash for any chewed wiring. Mice love to use the insulation from the wires for nesting. Ask TJ what an electrical fire can do! It looks really nice, glad to see tires were on top of your list, a lot of people over look them.

Totally agree, and welcome.
Maybe add a good inspection of brake and fuel lines as well.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

baughhumbug

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 06, 2018, 02:48 PM

Saw that post! Scary stuff. I did order a fire extinguisher yesterday but good call on checking wiring. What am I looking for? Just any exposed wires?

Rickf1985

You are looking for any wires where the insulation has little teeth marks on it, or chewed right through the insulation. You will know it if you see it. If you see a big ball of insulation and shredded paper you have found a nest. Put some gloves on and get it out of there. The chances of the occupants being home are very slim, they would have run off as you were getting close. But look very closely all around where the nest was because they will have used the area for a bathroom and also a supply house for nesting material. Wear a GOOD mask or respirator! Not for the smell but because of Hantavirus from the droppings. I bought a used motor home that had a serious mouse issue and as I was driving it to another storage spot they were walking up my arm and looking at me sort of like "where are you taking our home? Luckily I am not bothered by mice. Don't want to live with them though.

baughhumbug

Quote from: Rickf1985 on July 06, 2018, 07:44 PM
You are looking for any wires where the insulation has little teeth marks on it, or chewed right through the insulation. You will know it if you see it. If you see a big ball of insulation and shredded paper you have found a nest. Put some gloves on and get it out of there. The chances of the occupants being home are very slim, they would have run off as you were getting close. But look very closely all around where the nest was because they will have used the area for a bathroom and also a supply house for nesting material. Wear a GOOD mask or respirator! Not for the smell but because of Hantavirus from the droppings. I bought a used motor home that had a serious mouse issue and as I was driving it to another storage spot they were walking up my arm and looking at me sort of like "where are you taking our home? Luckily I am not bothered by mice. Don't want to live with them though.

Ha!I don't get the impression there are any live mice, just a lot of evidence of past inhabitants - including some deceased ones. Definitely found a couple nests, one of which was behind the board that covers the electrical wires running up through the back of the closet so I'll take a closer look at those. Also realized this weekend that the windshield wipers don't work and neither does the cab ac - as in the fan doesn't even kick on. Would be a relief for an easy fix if it were just some chewed wires that needed replaced. ::off to find out how to get in the dash::

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao Easy Fix. Not on your life. D:oH!

Oz

Welcome to our community of RV crazies!  The best bunch you'll ever want or need to have around.  The rig looks to be in pretty good shape.  I hope, with the help of our panel of experts, you'll be tip top in no time!

:) :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca