AC and generator value

Started by fierce beagle, June 26, 2018, 11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fierce beagle

I have an AC unit and onan generator from my 72 D20T.  Neither is in working condition.  The generator will start but has a kaput circuit board and unknown output.
Should I keep them to repair?  Do they have any value? Is it easier and cheaper to replace with new units.
I am considering going completely electric in the future.  A fellow RV'r indicated that new battery systems will power an AC for several hours alone. 
I am rebuilding the Brave for 1 to 2 week excursions with hookup at each location.

MotorPro

If you want to put in $10000 worth of lithium batteries you can run an ac for a few hours. Otherwise not going to happen.

Rickf1985

Yea, he is probably talking about the most modern AC units that does not draw too much power. BUT, They cost about the same as the average old RV!! PLUS all the lithium batteries mentioned above.

fierce beagle

His setup was 4 marine batteries, don't think they were lithium.  Probably a new style AC unit though.

fierce beagle

Should I trash the AC and just buy a new one for $500?

Rickf1985

I would but you are still not going to run it on batteries and I also doubt he ran his on batteries. Not enough to cool anything anyway.