HOT!  69-73 Dodge Service eManual - Better quality text and schematics. Three volume set and FREE, one-year Full Membership upgrade! 
GET YOURS!

Author Topic: Brit coming to the US to buy a Winnebago - insurance?? registration?? Aaargh!  (Read 399 times)

Offline daveukm

• I own: I don't own one but I'm a vintage RV enthusiast!
  • Year: 1972
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 413
Hi all
I am British, living in the UK. I am planning to come to the states next month to buy a Winnebago and travel across country.
I already know this is crazy and I should just rent one but I like to do things the hard / expensive way - but way cooler!

Anyway, my question is how do I get license plates and insurance without a US driver's license / Social Security Number?

I found one website saying the best way is to set up a Limited Liability Company (LLC) and have the company buy the van and insure it? There is even a place in Montana who will do the whole process for you for $800 - including going to the DMV to get the plates etc... But that sounds expensive and I don't think includes insurance for that price.

Some people say the best / easiest option is to buy from a willing owner who doesn't mind you driving it on their registration and insurance as a 'friend' as I am only going to be in the country for 6 weeks. Maybe I could pay a bit extra to a seller to do this?

What is everyone's opinion on this? Ideally I want to arrive and get trucking, I don't want to spend days waiting for plates, taking driving tests!

Offline Rickf1985

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1989
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
You may find a friendly owner but not likely since anything that happens goes on their insurance record and then their rates go up for many years. And if it is a serious accident they could be sued. 800.00 does not sound bad for someone doing all of the legwork. insurance is not that expensive for an RV but I have no idea how it would work for a non resident. I think renting is your best bet. And also look into delivering the RV from the factory to the dealer. A lot of RV manufacturers are always looking for drivers to deliver a new RV from their factory to a dealer somewhere in the US. I know several people that have done this for a dollar a day. I don't know the specifics but I am sure someone could tell you.

Offline daveukm

• I own: I don't own one but I'm a vintage RV enthusiast!
  • Year: 1972
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 413
Thanks for the info - I think the Montana registration thing is barely legal and not recommended for people who live in the states but works for me as I'm only there for 6 weeks.

I love the idea of delivering a new RV!
But for me it's all about the classic Winnebago - as I'm sure it is for you guys. For me this is less about being a tourist and more about the RV - but don't tell my wife, I'm sad like that.  :)

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoying all the benefits  Full Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

* Salvage Yards

Find
RV Salvage Yards

By STATE

Campround Map

Instantly get info on thousands of campgrounds all