Tip for installing front airbags

Started by wae, June 12, 2018, 09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wae

I just replaced the front airbags in my 93 Itasca (P30) with new Firestone Coil-Rite bags and found what I think might be a better way.  I tried taking out the valve core, heating, twisting, and zip-tying but I just couldn't get the bag to go through the opening in the control arm.  What made it absolutely simple, however, was to connect my vacuum pump that I use for A/C service to a tire chuck and used it to pull all the air out of the bag while I twisted it and folded the top down.  Once the bag had full vaccum, I put some Vaseline on it and it slid in with very little fighting.  To get the bottom of the bag in, I pressed down on the Schrader valve to let air back in and then vacuumed it a second time while shaping the bottom to fit through. 

Maybe I'm just a complete weakling, but I just couldn't twist and hold the bag enough to get it to fit even with the valve core removed.  Taking the air out of it, though, made it pretty simple.  Not quite "easy" but I got the second bag installed in only about 15 minutes after having messed around for about 3 hours trying to get the first one installed using the twist-and-zip-tie method.

BrandonMc

I was able to ziptie mine in an elongated spiral fashion, but that was with the coils out entirely.

Rickf1985

With the coils out why tie them? I just put mine in semi-inflated to hold them and the end caps in place while I got the springs located in the pockets.

tarifachris

I replaced my front airbags today... Luckily I could remove them in one piece thru the hole. I took the lower plastic washer out and cut a 2 inch round hole and pulled with pliers. I used Armour All to lubricate the bags in and out! With the new ones I removed the shredder valve and vacuumed with my hand vacuum pump, then I rolled it in and used 2 zip ties. Most time consuming was to put in the lower bag support washer. 

BTW my DeWalt air compressor works great ( 78$ + 8$ shipping ) it is replacing my 3 year old Harbor freight 12 V air compressor 150PSI which just quit to work and I paid as well 70$.
No problem to fill up my rear dual tires which is heavy work, they are connected with the Crossfire Dual tire pressure equalization system and you pump up actually both tires at once...