1 reverse light not working - access to wiring?

Started by Thenoob, June 10, 2018, 10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

Hey everyone

Got a 73 dodge d19 brave, bottom passenger side reverse light stopped working, not the bulb as I switched it out.
    Is there any access to the wiring? Not that I can see. I think there’s a problem with the pot housing.  How are these old things grounded?  I switched out the screw holding it in and it worked for awhile and then stopped again.
All other lights are working. 
Does it make sense to upgrade the old housings??

plockit007

Hi, When I run into electrical problem with lights before I think of replacements, I made a test wire connector from an old 12 volt light to test the circuit or you could use a continuity tester. To check for ground and or power if it lights up you have a complete circuit if it does not light you have a bad ground.

Check the manuals to see if there is anything about a wiring diagram for you rig. If not what I do is google it or go to the Mitchell Manuals found at the reference desk at the library. Check out the electrical wiring section.

Good hunting. :)

Froggy1936

For those unconcerned with remaining original , I replaced all my tail light assys right after the second time one of them failed to make proper connection , That and the extreme difficulty with finding replacement lens, Also new units are much brighter and parts are available everywhere ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Have you tested it with a meter or test light to determine whether it is getting power? The wires most likely come up from below, if you have a trailer hitch follow the wires for the trailer plug back to where they tie into the main harness and then you should be able to find the connection the tail lights.

Thenoob

I’ll be headed to the coach tomorrow to try and figure out what’s going on.  I looked last time and had no access inside or outside the coach to the wiring on the back lights.
If it is the pot, anybody have any pics of what they have switched them out with?

TerryH

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 10, 2018, 06:42 PM
Have you tested it with a meter or test light to determine whether it is getting power? The wires most likely come up from below, if you have a trailer hitch follow the wires for the trailer plug back to where they tie into the main harness and then you should be able to find the connection the tail lights.

As above, the way the majority of these units were manufactured are similar to today's vehicles. On the assembly line they have no inkling of what options the end user may wish - heated seats, power mirrors, trailer hitch, etc. Therefore all rough in, including wire harnesses were in place for all vehicles.
Cost effective.
If you do not have a trailer hitch look under the rear of your unit. Very likely you will find a section of harness with a plug for a future hitch.
Trace from there.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Surfinhurf

What Froggy said, my tails looked "OK" but the plastic was deteriorated. The metal piece that connects to the bulb was riveted to the plastic.  Anyways I ended up redoing the inner tail assembly with JB weld and sheet metal screws.  First easy check is to make sure you have power to the wires feeding your tail lights.

Good Luck
HURF

Froggy1936

These are what i used They are all truck universal assys The two uppers have reverse lights and plate lights the two lowers are just park & stop The high mounted stop light is from a Chev van ! Frank Hm picture will not paste go to the gallery and look at my pics  !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.