Cool swap, turbocharged LS engine in Winnebago

Started by tmsnyder, June 05, 2018, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsnyder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf92AWPm9OQ

Pretty cool swap from what I've seen.   6.0L chevy engine in place of a 440

Gearhead88

I'm watching this now  :D , . Cool swap for sure , a variety of issues that they are dealing with as they come up . Some of the test drive videos are amusing , this thing hauls !! .  I'm thinkin the brakes and steering need work.

Rickf1985

Did you watch it all the way to the last part where they were driving it? Pretty neat but I would sure as hell have to have a muffler on it. Loud is great for race cars but mot something I am going to be driving for hours on end and going through campgrounds. I would also shield the fuel lines and pumps from the exhaust.

Gearhead88

Ya  , it's loud , which would get old and the fuel economy is probably real poor.  It was entertaining to watch . 

tmsnyder

At 3:40 he's explaining how they got rid of 2 of the 3 springs on the accelerator pedal, so the 'feel' is better after they shortened it.  When that last spring breaks, they are going to realize why there was originally double redundancy on that spring!

tmsnyder

Rickf1985

Quote from: Gearhead88 on October 15, 2018, 03:30 AM
Ya  , it's loud , which would get old and the fuel economy is probably real poor.  It was entertaining to watch .

Yea, the way they are driving it they are probably looking at 2-3 MPG. But if you were to drive it like a normal person I bet it would get pretty good mileage, probably 12 or better. Did you notice the front end shake. If you are going to be driving a 40 plus year old motor home on Chinese tires like it is a race car you better damn well at least balance the tires. That shake will very quickly fatigue the metal holding the steering components under there and they may get a nasty surprise. They will also find out their 5 ton race car is made of balsa wood and does not come with a roll cage!!!!!

tmsnyder

Yay that was pretty hairy.  Those guys are nuts. I could just see one of those suspension parts letting go!

tmsnyder

Got to be the same RV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWytJviH3d0

They claim they're getting 7.25 mpg with this turbo'd 6.0L winnie

Rickf1985

They would probably get a lot better if they ever kept their foot out of it. If you drove it normally it would probably be 12-14 with no problem.

iamcaper

planning a ls swap for my Fleury . but I am going to run the 350 this summer

tmsnyder

I would think that the LS motor would be quite happy to spin w/o overdrive at whatever rpm the original setup used.  Probably end up around 3000 rpm.  They might actually pick up some mpg w/o running the OD.