Have you seen this? Add 231 Horsepower to a Motorhome Engine With Bolt-On Parts!

Started by BrandonMc, June 05, 2018, 02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVan

Quote from: ErikTande on June 16, 2018, 01:08 AM
What's a good bolt on EFI kit for a 1985 454?

I'm considering the Holley Sniper Kit ~$1000

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/

I don't recall whether it's CARB compliant as I don't live in CA anymore.
1988 Itasca Windcruiser 32RQ
Semi-retired Artist/Flyer

MotorPro

Unless you you are putting it on a vehicle that already head fuel injection. And you only want a 2 barrel ( not enough for a 454) you can double that price.

Froggy1936

I agree on the 2 barrel, I put a 1995 EFI TB Injection engine and fuel syestem in my 77 Mini Winnie 5.7 , Replacing the Quadrajet 4 BBL  There is a very noticeable drop off of power . Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

fasteddie313

This?
https://youtu.be/ld9ml6e6P6Q

Id say it's not bad for $1,200

It looks like a neet package with the ECU and map sensor, IAT sensor, etc built right into the throttle body, well engineered..
Comes with the EFI high pressure fuel pump and has an integrated fuel pressure regulator..
It comes with a wideband sensor and must have an internal wideband controler in the unit also..
That's pretty nice because all of those parts on their own add up $.. And wiring all of your sensors otherwise is some work.. Most do not come with a wideband sensor $80 and a wideband controler is another $80 ish and a lot of wires and calibrating..

Port injection is better than TBI but you would be using this more for cruising than racing..

https://youtu.be/NVoOPXo4TkA
Looks like you can laptop tune it like most EFI systems..
It has autotune and supposedly you don't need a laptop at all but it is nice that you can take over and tune it yourself..
That way you can cruise at just the AFR you want, or at WOT, whatever you want..

It does your ignition timing also and says it can drive your coil with a coil driver it might come with or not.. I'm not sire if the OEM 454 coil has an integrated driver if it was talking about a stand alone coil or what but it obviously fires a single coil V8 distributor setup but does not have an integrated coil driver..
A coil driver is no big deal to install..
A coil driver is kinda a capacitor that turns your little ECU spark signal into a big whop to charge the coil and I believe the coil driver should also control the dwell..

You might be able to build a megasquirt system for around the same money, probably a bit more powerful and you could do port injection with a new intake, but at a LOT more work than this holley system seems to be..

If you are fine with TBI vs port injection then is going to be hard to beat.. I didn't expect to like it at all before I looked but I do.. Mostly because of all the integrated systems that it has that you need to make EFI work..

I think its a pretty cool system but maybe you should hop on some muscle car forums and ask about it's reliability.. It doesn't look unreliable but you should know..

If you decide to get it, come to an understanding of every sensor it uses and why it needs to know those things in order to figure out exactly how much fuel to add, and you will become comfortable with EFI in no time..

The big weakness with this system is that it isn't really modular..
I don't think you could ever make it run port injection for you, or run coil on plug, or be any good for forced induction?
It kinda is what it is as a package..
With a regular EFI build yes you have to  doo all of your own MAP, IAT, WBO2 and controler, crank sensor, etc but then if you ever want to change anything, upgrade, all of your sensors are already there so just switch to a different ECU or whatever..
With this system if you ever wanted to upgrade from it, when you take it off you lose all of those sensors with it, so it's not like components that can be used with any ECU, like a normal standalone EFI build would be..

It's like having one tractor that does all of your farm tasks rather than having a machine for each task.. Say it's a great tiller but the harvester function leaves something to be desired.. Well you would have to upgrade the whole thing rather than just upgrading your harvester and keeping your tiller as is, you would have to buy a new tiller too if you ever wanted to upgrade your harvester..