Shower Pan Question

Started by srosa707, May 29, 2018, 10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srosa707

Is the shower pan glued to the floor below?  My pan has always felt "mushy" to the touch so I assumed the flooring was rotted.  Since the original black tank was leaking, I've since ordered a replacement and started removing items to gain access to the bolts.  I've removed the toilet, flange, and rail and now I am attempting to remove the pan but it seems to be glued or have some kind of insulation under it that is adhered to the floor below?  Has anyone experienced this?  I am trying not to damage the pan if possible. 

yellowrecve

Are you sure there are bolts hidden under the pan?2nd. Some of the pans were 2 layers to give them a soft feel. You may have to remove the shower drain.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

srosa707

It looked like I had to pull the shower pan to get access to the bolts in the black tank.  I could be mistaken, but either way its halfway apart now!  The shower drain does not appear to be the problem, but it could be adding to the issue.  Ill inspect again tomorrow.

Elandan2

The reason the shower pan feels "mushy" is that there is carpet under it. In Winnebago's infinite wisdom, they felt it was better to simply lay carpet on the whole floor rather than cut around anything. I have taken up cabinets and such and yes, the carpet was everywhere.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

Quote from: Elandan2 on May 30, 2018, 10:43 AM
The reason the shower pan feels "mushy" is that there is carpet under it. In Winnebago's infinite wisdom, they felt it was better to simply lay carpet on the whole floor rather than cut around anything. I have taken up cabinets and such and yes, the carpet was everywhere.
With plastic on top of it on the later ones. W%  Seems like a waste of money in carpet but I guess when you figure in the labor of cutting out the sections for all the different configurations it makes sense to just slam the stuff down and build over it. I am sure it also makes for a quieter interior.

BamBam

Not only that Rick, but I'm sure it's also a cheap way to insulate the whole floor as well, but don't know for sure.

srosa707

So I got the shower pan out and it seems as though the "mushy" feeling was some old insulation.  Should I remove this insulation and add new?  Keep this?  Remove and re-install?