On the hunt for a good wired Backup Camera

Started by RedneckExpress, May 20, 2018, 12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedneckExpress

Decided it would be prudent to add a backup camera to the Amerigo while I've got her fully opened up, so I'm looking for some more recent wired camera options folks have been using.   

I went through the one entry we have in the University post, but the camera and details go back to 2006, so a little dated.   

I'm also hoping to find a unit that can be wired up to use a trailer plug to connect between the truck and the camper for ease of disconnect.   

Depending on how many wires it needs, I might be able to combine it with the Intercom unit using the same plug (unique pins for each).

One suggestion I've already received, but am waiting back on how that particular forum member from that forum has his wired for the disconnect between his truck and camper, currently has me intrigued. 

Quote from: NMDriver2I have two weatherproof bullet security cameras from Amazon ($15/Pair), 7 in LCD Monitor ($30), and two 25ft and two 50 ft sets of cables ($25/4 x 4 wire cables). Each camera uses 3 wires (power, ground, video), in the cable. I have a 5er so I run the two 50ft 3 wire cables from the cameras to the hitch where I plug them into the two 25ft 3 wire cables to get up to my monitor. I do have to unplug a number of jacks but they are all taped together and labeled so it is not a big issue. When I am not pulling the boat behind the 5er I can plug the cameras into the 25ft cables and use them as backup/hitch cameras for the truck or to monitor the boat, utility trailer or what ever is back there being towed. The cameras and monitor are both 12 volt so power is easy.

Monitor

Camera

So far, I kind of like this idea, as it would be fairly simple to wire for, just need to get a video cable with the necessary BNC Connectors on the ends, though I haven't found a good source for a through-bulkhead connector for the outside of the camper for the umbilical cable, as however this connects will need to be able to survive driving rain and normal pickup truck use.
Follow along with me as I full-time the Redneck Way in [url=http://

tmsnyder

Digi-key or Allied would have a bnc connector for you. You're thinking about mounting a bnc on the rear wall of the rv?  I think I would just run the wire through a grommet, cut the bnc off the camera and solder splice the two wires together, then shrink wrap so there's no problem with corrosion. Plus it's less money.

Rickf1985

Cutting and splicing video cables usually does not end well. Video is very sensitive and the cables are usually shielded.

tmsnyder

Hi Rick, there shouldn't be any worries, it's not a weak signal, it's line level.  Something like 1V peak to peak.  If you open up the end of the cable from the camera or the stock cable ends, the wires are separated and soldered or crimped onto two terminals.   Shouldn't be an issue.  He would have to solder the shield and the center wire on the bnc terminal anyway if he were to terminate the cable at a rear bulkhead.  Even microphones, which have tiny little weak signals, have the wires separated and soldered onto the terminals at the connector.

I'd be more worried about corrosion at that bnc connector over time unless he spends $ on a weather resistant one.

khantroll

I use a cheap license plate camera on mine that goes up to my Rand McNally gps. Is there a reason you need it to be quick disconnecting?

Rickf1985

khantroll

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I still don't get it.

Rickf1985

The camera will be on the camper and the screen will be in the cab. The camper comes off of the truck when not in use so power, tail lights and camera will need to be unplugged.

khantroll

Gotcha. The only time I had a camper on my daily driver, it didn't cover the license plate, so my camera would have been fine. A quick search showed me that some (especially large older) campers do require you to move the license plate.

Thanks Rick!

Rickf1985

I have an 11.5 foot slide in and I have to move the plate. The camper weights 4200 lbs.. Yet they advertised them for 3/4 ton trucks! They also said they weighed a lot less. Camper companies are famous for that, up to and including this day.

RedneckExpress

Just to let folks know, I did end up getting a camera and its mounted with a nice downward backward view on the snap-n-nap on the rear of the Amerigo :).   I still need to get the wiring done, but hope to power it up this year :)

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: RedneckExpress on July 08, 2019, 05:49 AM
Just to let folks know, I did end up getting a camera and its mounted with a nice downward backward view on the snap-n-nap on the rear of the Amerigo :).   I still need to get the wiring done, but hope to power it up this year :)

Nice!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

RedneckExpress

Quote from: ClydesdaleKevin on July 08, 2019, 10:52 AM
Nice!

Kev

Got all kinds of fancy, including importing several sets of Male/Female European Trailer plugs so I could reduce the number of connectors needed (The euro plugs have 13 pins).  so other than the big 12volt +/- plug, the running lights, signals, intercom (Original to the unit), back up camera, are all going through that 13 pin plug.