Accessing Coach Steps mounts?

Started by lemortede, September 01, 2015, 09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lemortede

One of the last things I tackled on the repair of my 1988 Chieftain 22 was the fold-able stairs.
The metal had torn due to constant use and they needed to be repaired.
I was able to weld the tears and fix the steps, however i dot know how to re-attach them.
The stairs originally bolted to studs/bolts that protruded out the bottom of the coach.
When I was removing the stairs 2 of the studs snapped off.
As I look up I can see a hollow space through the un-used bolt holes but can not figure out how to access that space.
Is there something on the inside stair that I have to remove?

Rickf1985

I have a fold down door in the back of the first step down from the floor in mine. That is probably where it bolts through to. Look at your steps and see if there is a small grab handle above the first step. I found all kinds of neat stuff in there on mine. :D :D

jeno

I had mine for two years before I found that door. It was like finding a treasurer chest.

lemortede

Sorry I haven't responded for a while. We actually took our rig for its first long term trip this last week.
Happy to day we made it there and back with no issues.
I assume that the step you are taking about is the one that accesses my batteries and isolation solenoids.
I looked in there to see if there was a way to access to access the space where the bolts for the steps are and I could not see one.
Right now I am thinking the only way to do this is to remove everything in the stairwell from the inside.
My concern with doing that is there is a flat top "bolt" that I believe is holding the flooring down that seems to have been installed through the stair frame. I am not sure how to remove that...or even if I can.
I will post pictures when I get home.

Rickf1985

Unless your steps are substantially different than mine I can't possibly see how you could get a battery in between the bottom step of the coach and the floor of the coach. Just not enough room to put a battery in through there. Where I am talking about is looking out of the coach, you have one step down and then you have your external steps after that correct? Take that one step down and you are still inside the door of the coach, still looking out where the back of your heel is against the rise of the step, there is a drop down door on mine with a storage compartment in there.I will try to remember to get a picture today.

legomybago

We have that same compartment, great for holding quart of oil for the genny and the 454, tranny fluid, di water for topping off bats, rags, and fuel filters. That's what I have in mine.
Our electric metal step assembly bolts straight up through the wood under the bottom step with carriage bolts. Ours flexes the floor when you step on them, very chince job of mounting, step is basically held up by plywood. They should of put some steel in there for the step mount. Me and father in law just took a look recently at how to go about reinforcing/fixing this issue, and it looks to be a pain in the A$$. So not going to worry about it right now ???
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

lemortede

Mine must be different. I will take a picture when I get home...I have been meaning to for my project thread anyway.

lemortede

Here are my steps.

And the open battery box

There is no access from the backside of from the sides underneath.
The only thing I can come up with is removing the black piece that makes up the walls and base of that first stair, but that has the complication of that odd bolt you can see if the lower right that looks like it holds the floor to the frame.

Rickf1985

THAT explains it! On mine I just have a door in the riser where yours dips down. It appears that the whole section on tours will lift out by removing those screws on the sides and possibly the battery compartment lid. And possibly you will find what you are looking for underneath.

lemortede

Any thoughts on how I remove this bolt since is seems to go through the stair piece I need to remove?

ClydesdaleKevin

If you can't get to that bolt from underneath the rig with a long socket and extension, then I would say to just cut the plastic around the bolt with a dremel or the like, and then when you replace the plastic cover, just add 2 screws to either side of that bolt.  That is what I would do.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

legomybago

Mine is like Ricks...compartment in the face of the riser. My bats are up front under the hood.
I would do what kevin said, cut out around that bolt and leave it. It may be holding up one of your undercarriage compartments??? Hard to say..
Looks like the black step section is steel? Or is it plastic? If it's steel, maybe the retractable steps could bolt up through the step (where it says Winnebago) and have a sturdy platform to hang off when your done..That is where mine bolts up through, except mine is just plywood. We can only guess here sometimes on the web Hm?
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

lemortede

The step is metal.
There is a space between the step with the "Winnebago" on it and the underside of the Motorhome where the retractable step bolts.
In that space they have a bolt going through the bottom of the frame through some slots in that plate which is why I want to get under this step to access that space.
I had considered just drilling through this step and bolting to it but I am afraid the metal is not thick enough.
I will try to cut around that bolt report.

Rickf1985

If the piece you are talking about cutting, the step flange, is metal I would not do that. That flange being metal is going to be spreading the load of the bolt attached to it and if you cut around it you will now be concentrating the load in that one spot. You could end up making your problems worse. If in fact it is a bolt then drill the head and replace it afterwards and maybe even put a piece of 1/4" x 2" aluminum bar stock above that flange to bolt through to give better support if you do find it is a stressed area.
If you decide to cut around it then definitely plan on the bar stock for when you go back together. Just get longer screws to replace the ones that are there now and grind and sand the edge down to a rounded edge on the step side to give a nice look.

NiftyBetty

Hi, Guys.   I have a 1975 D 19.  The most taxing thing I do is haul myself in and out of the entrance door, like when stopping for gas.  When the stairs are not down it's quite a ways up from the ground.   I'd like to add something to help with this.  Can anyone suggest an add-on that will make entry comfortable?   (A cheap option, preferably.)  I see that you can buy "side steps" for entry assist into trucks and SUV's. For example, on Amazon:   Bully BBS-1101S Black Bull Series Multi-Fit Adjustable Side Step_ Automotive--  I can't do the work myself, so I'll have to take it to a local truck mechanic for installation.   To me, it seems this should be easy, but based on what I read here, it seems some knowledge of what's peculiar about my rig may be required. 

Don't know what I'd do without this forum. 

Thanks.

khantroll

Nifty, I don't guess I understand exactly what you are wanting to do.  If the problem is that you are having trouble getting to the ground so you can manually pull out the steps, I think a better suggestion would be a folding set of steps for camper or a set of used electric kwik steps.

Also, it might be best to spawn this convo off into its own thread to make searching easier for other users.

NiftyBetty

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to start a new post.   What I want to do is add an extra stationary step so the height from the ground to the first step is not so high when I am getting in.  I figure it won't affect ground clearance.  You see them on trucks and SUV's sometimes.   Of course, whatever I'd add could not interfere with the operation of the steps currently there.  Just to be clear, in case this is odd,  I cannot pull up or lower my current steps from inside.  If you google "side step for trucks" you'll see pictures.    Are you suggesting that there are stairs I can throw down before I get out and then pull back in after I've gotten back into the Winnie?   Seems cumbersome.   Thanks again. 

Rickf1985

I don't know where  your door is but if it is anywhere near the center of the vehicle you do not want anything hanging down or you might hit it on a hump in the road, think steep railroad crossing type of thing. If you need steps that go down before you can get out then electric is about the only choice. I have seen some that fold into the RV and are pulled in with a rope or linkage but that was years and years ago.

NiftyBetty

I tried to attach a picture but I got an error message that it was too large.  My door is just behind the front wheel.  The door must be 20 inches or more above ground.  It seems that if you can attach one of those side steps under the cab door of a pickup you should be able to put one on this RV.  If I could afford electric steps I would probably not be driving a 43 year old RV.  LOL  At this point I'd settle for hanging a stirrup to give myself and my passengers a leg up.   My dog has to get a running start to get up there.   i??

Rickf1985

Right behind the wheel you should be able to mount something there. Do you have a landing inside the door? A flat area once you come through the door? You could have someone fabricate a pivoting step that has a hinge out by the door so that when you open the door you could rotate the step out and guide it with a rope or a handle. In the stowed position it would be folded back and sitting on the floor behind the door. It would not have the convenience of an electric step but it would get the job done and be cheaper. That is if you know someone who can fabricate it for you at a reasonable price. A permanent step is another option but anything that sticks out is going to get bent, guaranteed.

NiftyBetty

Food for thought.  If I find something that works, I will share.