Furnace squealing

Started by moonlitcoyote, April 24, 2018, 12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

Let me start by saying I have no idea what furnace I have because I have not torn into it yet, but I am hoping the info I need is standard.

It sounds like a bearing is going bad in the furnace, it makes a terrible squealing noise when it starts. So the question I have is, can I change the bearing or do I have to replace the furnace? If you need more information about the furnace I can get it I think. Thnks

tmsnyder

They may just need oil.  It never hurts to tear it apart, clean, oil, lubricate and reassemble. 

Or replace just the motor if you need to.

legomybago

Unfortunately the fan motors are buried deep in the furnace. The grease in the bearings dry out and start squealing...Probably need to replace the fan motor.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

moonlitcoyote

ok, so if I need to replace the fan motor, does anyone know how I go about finding one? Is it specific to the furnace where I can just look up parts for this furnace and order a fan motor? I am trying not to tear into it until it warms up a bit unless it is a quick job and I can have everything I need before I start. It does still work and it quiets down after running for a few minutes so I have a little time (I hope)

Sasquatch

Pull the motor and get the numbers off of it.  Search your local area and find an electrical motor house.  Bring it in and they can most likely find one.  If you do not have an electrical motor shop, Grainger is a good source and if all else fails, spend some time on Google.

RANGERRICK

If you PM me with the make,model and serial# of the heater i can see if in have a motor for you.Also any info on the motor if you have it out.