Mor-ryde axle alignment

Started by tmsnyder, July 23, 2018, 10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsnyder

The tires on my tag axle seem to be wearing much faster than the rest.  After about 10k+ miles the tread is almost gone on one side of each tire.  On the drivers side, the outer side of the tread is worn almost completely away.  On the passenger side, the inner side was worn out.   So it appears that the axle is not in line with the rest of the axles.

I put a tape measure on the dual axle and measured back to the tag axle, and it seems like there is about a 1/4" more distance on the passenger side.

All the rubber bushings seem to be in place and the system is not adjustable, everything is welded up solid.  Oh well, I'll have to yank it off there and see what's going on.  The joys of old camper ownership!

Rickf1985

Check to see if the drive axle may be the one that is out of alignment. Have someone follow you down the road and see if you are dog tracking with the rear end to one side. The tandem wheels will over ride the single wheels. Didn't you say on another post that you have pulled heavy trailers with this rig? Check the frame.

tmsnyder

Not me, I've never towed anything with it.  Just hung some bicycles off the hitch.

The tag axle is connected to the dual axle by a huge H shaped frame.   The dual axle has a decent sized pair of coil springs supporting the coach.  The center of the H is a fulcrum that is connected to the rv frame on each side with rubber springs.  The H is solid, no adjustments, just huge clamshell ends that wrap around and bolt the H to the dual axle on the top of the H and the tag axle on the bottom of the H.  I don't see any adjustments, but under those clamps around the axles there is a fat 1/2" thick piece of rubber wrapped around the axle before its clamps are installed and tightened.   One of those may have shifted, ... or disintegrated.

The tag axle and the tandem(?) axle should be aligned, no matter what, unless the H was welded up wrong or the rubber bushings have changed.

I'm not super worried about it but am intrigued by any mpg improvements that might be realized by getting that tag axle back in alignment :)