propane kit impco for itasca sunflyer 454 4bbl

Started by motorino, April 16, 2018, 08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorino

hello, my itasca sunflyer 23 rg goes very well 6.85 mpg, but gasoline is very expensive in Spain, so I'm thinking about putting a propane kit. but I have several questions,

the 80 pound tank that I have in the trailer that works for a propane kit.

I'vw seen an Impco kit that is used to mount vehicles with a Rochester quadrajet on a 454 and produces up to 270 horsepower maximum
something must be done with delco's time
the kit is dual. serve with propane and gasoline, this system is safe.carries a mechanism on top of the air filter

How many miles would you do with the 80 pound deposit?

I'm undecided and I do not know what to do, the propane scares me a little.

thanks, I will try to upload a photo of impco kit that I have seen,

thanks for your help

IMPCO DUAL FUEL PROPANE GASOLINE KIT V8 V6 ENGINES 350 5.7 454 7.4 360 383 305

APPLICATION: ANY ENGINE USING A  4 BARREL OR 2 BARREL THAT WILL ACCEPT A 5 1/8" AIR CLEANER    (LARGER UNITS AVAILABLE)
THIS KIT WILL SUPPORT UP TO 270HP
INCLUDES: MIXER, REGULATOR, PROPANE AND GASOLINE LOCK OFF, ADAPTERS, ALONG WITH HOSES, FITTINGS, WIRING, EVERYTHING FOR A COMPLETE CONVERSION

FEATURES: ALLOWS YOU TO RUN PROPANE OR GASOLINE
NOTE: PROPANE MIXER MOUNTS ON TOP OF GASOLINE CARB

tmsnyder

80 lb of propane would be around 13 gallons of liquid fuel, so you could go about 75 miles before needing a refill . 

motorino

Rickf1985

Will support up to 270 horsepower, that is pretty much maxing the unit out on a 454. Propane gives less power per gallon than gasoline so mileage will be less per gallon than gas. Things to consider is once the propane is used up you no longer have gas to run the fridge or stove. As far as safety they have been running propane powered vehicles for many, many years. A lot of school buses are propane powered.

motorino

I must rest every 60 miles but the saving is great
a liter of gasoline of 98 octane costs 1.45 euros (1.90 dollars approximately) the gas is worth 0.65 euros liter, it is much cheaper

1US gal lqd = 3.785412L

1 gal = 5,48 euros = 6,80 usd

Berlin-Tioga

Hi!

I run about the same set up on a dodge 440.
In my 5-ton Tioga it needs about 40 litres of propane for 100 km.
It is running great on propane, but the Thermoquad below is not liking the additional stuff on top when driving on petrol.
As soon as I mount the Propane system parts it seems to influence the air flow very badly.
Everything over half throttle leans the TQ out badly. And yes, I do open up the 300A manually for driving on petrol.

Something else: as far as I know about the regulations here in Europe, you need to have a different tank for engine LPG than for your burning gas for stove or fridge.
It's the red ones for the burning and black ones for the engine LPG.

Greetings from Berlin,

ben

TerryH

I don't believe that your photo shows all of the components.
Your first consideration would be the additional height required above the gas carb. Will it fit under the dog house (inside engine cover)?
Properly installed, safety should not be an issue.
Dual fuel system - highly recommended.
Dedicated tank - highly recommended. Mine is 182 litres - 203lb.
Propane    1 litre = 1.12 lb
                1 lb = 0.8929 litres
I would suggest you google Impco for more information. I used their carb systems for years on small blocks in company pick ups and vans with great satisfaction.
In all honesty more research into the actual systems may prove beneficial.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

And there is no way yo need to run 98 octane gasoline in that RV!!!!!! I don't run that in my race car, it is hard to find here in the US. You only NEED 89 octane at the most and it will run just fine on 86 octane which is regular gas here.

motorino

here in Spain there is only 95 octane and 98 octane gasoline

motorino

I'm thinking about canceling the rochester quadrajet and mounting a kit of tbi instead of propane, but I do not know if it saves fuel and if it would improve my mpg,

refilling propane every 65 miles is bad,

to mount another deposit they do not leave me in the annual ispection, and asked this morning

at the moment I have to assess the tbi system also in case it is more sensible for me since I only run 2000 miles per year

someone knows if it improves the mpg in conversion from 4bbl to tbi in a 454
if it improves, how much mpg would it improve?

Rickf1985

Your mileage will not change all that much from a well tuned quadrajet. You can expect from 6 mpg to 7.5 mpg at best. It will run cleaner but to be perfectly honest you will never get you money back on the investment. 1,000 dollars American for the cheapest system will buy a LOT of gasoline!

On edit, I notice you have a 23 foot so your mileage might be a little better than that but the fuel injection will not change it enough from the carburetor to make it worth the change.

Schmitti

@Rick - in Europe, there is no worse type of gasoline than 91 octane. The best gasoline is available with 102 octane at the gas station.

LPG (Liquid Petrolium Gas) is a great alternative and also around 1â,¬ per liter cheaper than the cheapest gasoline. Because honestly ... our RV need more than enough of it - they are also, it also makes it incredibly fun to travel with it. An Impco system is great for a conversion but it should be a very large tank for it to be mounted. The consumption increases by about 20%. I have mounted under our thor with 6.8 tons a 200l container and I am very satisfied. Especially because an LPG container can not be completely emptied. From this tank can be removed about 135l and reach about 285mls.
1 liter = .264 gallons
1 â,¬ = 1.235 US $

Thomas
... greetings from Germany  ;)
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

tmsnyder

What about a diesel swap?  How much does diesel cost?

Elandan2

Here's a small article describing the difference in octane ratings between Europe and the US. Two different systems give the different numbers.  https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

motorino

I have already measured the new location of propane tank, I can put one of 116 liters, I think it is 18 gallons approximately, joining the two deposits before regulator with 209 liters total, but real 160 liters approximately, is enough in propane to My, I am very happy I will order the material for the conversion to propane

according to the gasoline table ron and mon I'm spending 91 mon which are 98ron

motorino

I have one more question, sorry, it's the rochester quadrajet a carburetor of 5 1/8 "AIR CLEANER,

tmsnyder

5-1/8 inch seems to be the standard size, yes

motorino

motorino

because of the lack of space in the motor shaft upwards, since the kit that I saw earlier rises too much and could not cover the engine without transforming the cover, which would not let the air intake and the whole assembly I would raise the air temperature a lot, I am looking for an alternative kit and found this 90 degrees,
the problem is that I do not understand what supports 300hp, my motorhome has 240 hp this is a problem

it would be possible with the help of a tube to remove the filter towards the front of the motorhome, that would be wonderful if it were to take fresh air and not from the heat of the motor
IMPCO LOW CLEARANCE COMPLETE DUAL FUEL PROPANE & GAS KIT HIGH HP 425 V8 454
[/size]
[/size]LPG
[/size]APPLICATION:
BOLT ON DUEL FUEL FOR HIGH HORSEPOWER ENGINES, WILL WORK WITH ANY CARBURETOR WITH A 5-1/8" AIR CLEANER[/size]
THIS KIT WILL SUPPORT 300HP[/font][/color]
[/size][/color]FEATURES: ALLOWS YOU TO RUN PROPANE OR GASOLINE
[/size][/color]NOTE: ADAPTER HOOD SITS DIRECTLY OVER CARBURETOR, MIXER AND AIR CLEANER SIT AT 90 DEGREE ANGLE FOR BETTER CLEARANCE
[/size]
[/color]INCLUDES:  K&N AIR CLEANER, ADAPTER HOOD, IMPCO MODEL E VAPORIZER, IMPCO CT425M-2 MIXER WITH SILICONE DIAPHRAGM, ALL MATERIALS TO COMPLETE UNDER THE HOOD INSTALLATION (EVERYTHING PICTURED)

motorino

tmsnyder

It means that the kit can support an engine making up to 300 horsepower.   If you're engine was rated at 240hp from the factory, then the kit will be able to supply enough fuel and air.

Memetsefaozturk

Hello Dear Friends,,, I have 455 cui.  Engine.  It works with a "4 barrel Rochester QuadraJet carburetor"  Im living in a wheelchair.  There is something I want to learn from you knowledgeable friends.  I would be really happy if you could support to  me.  What is the best "Propane Dual Fuel Mixer" Kit to install in order for my ENGINE 7.4 Liter (455 cubic inch) engine to run smoothly while running on petrol as well, in my Daily use?  From whom can I learn Brand and Model information of the Dual Fuel Mixer ??  From whom can I get technical information?  Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject??  Can you tell me which brand and model mixer kit is the most suitable kit for my 455cui. engine?  I am a good hearted person.  because throughout my life "my first priority has always been to help people".  And now I'm asking you this very seriously, "BECAUSE I NEED YOUR HELP".
       NOTE: I want to run my car on Propane, Yes.. BUT,
         I don't want to use only propane. Because FOREXAMPLE: I really need this car as I can't walk!!!  If I run out of propane on the road, I HAVE TO "PASSING THE ENGINE ON GASOLINE" and CONTINUE MY WAY BY PROPANE.

HP: 290 between 315

ENGINE: V8 455cui= 7,4 Liter

CARBURETOR: QUADRAJET ROCHESTER 4bbl 5–1/8

Which Propane & Gas "Dual Fuel Mixer" should be on my Carburetor ??

I hope to hear your suggestions soon.

Thank you very much for your helpfulness and sensitivity.

God bless you 🙏💙🙏

eXodus

To answer a couple of your questions:

Most LPG (Propane) kits, you can still run on Gasoline. I had two of them and as soon as you run out of propane most of them even switch over to Gasoline on their own.

You saw that you are in an RV-Motorhome discussion forum?  Some technology transfers to the car you asking about - but many things do not.   I would suggest you try to find a dedicated LPG-conversion discussion board or group. (Facebook or Reddit)

I'm too young for carburetors :) everything I ever owned had fuel injection.
All the best with your project