P30 Horn Relay Location

Started by tmsnyder, March 27, 2018, 07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsnyder

I've got 12V on the black wire at the horn button, when grounded I get the tiniest little spark but no horn.   And I'm not getting 12V at the horns.  Somewhere in between theres a relay and I can't find it. 

Anyone know where to look for this bugger?

tmsnyder

Found it!  It was right in front of my face (when standing on ground at drivers door)  It's next to the chassis fuse panel.  I was thinking that was for the wipers for some reason, but the black, orange and green wires were the giveaway.  Shorting the orange to the green made the horns work.   Put in a new relay and horns work again.

M & J

M & J

Mmmd5

Quote from: tmsnyder on March 27, 2018, 12:08 PM
Found it!  It was right in front of my face (when standing on ground at drivers door)  It's next to the chassis fuse panel.  I was thinking that was for the wipers for some reason, but the black, orange and green wires were the giveaway.  Shorting the orange to the green made the horns work.   Put in a new relay and horns work again.

I had the same problem  - you just saved me two hours of my life chasing this down! Thank you!

tmsnyder

You're welcome!  Two hours is about right.   I had the steering wheel off checking the brass ring and button for the horn.  Put that back on. Then I took off the grill which is about 8 feet wide and has the headlights in it. Checked to see if there was voltage at the horns with a helper pushing the horn button.  Nothing, so put the grill back on.   Then I pulled the fuse panel to try to look behind it for the relay (which was right in front of my face).   Then I realized, this is silly, just look for the orange, green and black wires, which were of course right there.  One reason I didnt' think it was that relay was b/c it's only a year old.  But yup, shake it and it rattles.  Toast after only a few weeks of use (it died during our trip last summer).

Rickf1985

Are you saying you are one of those city people that do nothing but lay on the horn constantly even though there is nowhere to go. And burnt up the  relay in the process. W% :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

kru1968

New reply to old post... Our 1985 Winnebago Cheiftain 22 doesn't have a drivers or passenger door.  The mechanic who did our inspection said "horn is inoperable", so now we have to chase down what might be wrong.  What is the quickest/easiest thing to check first?  Where would the relay be located on our 22?  And, where would I find a replacement relay, if that is what is wrong?  Thank you!
<-- her name is Dolores \W/

DaveVA78Chieftain

Kru1968,
Attached is the horn relay wiring diagram used on the P30 chassis in the 1980's.
Check the 15A fuse first (horn/Dome Light) on the chassis fuse panel first.
The horn relay will be located under the dash somewhere around the steering wheel most likely.
The horn button pin could be broke.
Link to replacement Relay
Steering Wheel Parts

Dave
[move][/move]