Author Topic: new owner of a 1973 winnebago brave (and know Nothing)  (Read 505 times)

Offline richardmo

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1973
  • Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Brave
  • Chassis: dodge
  • Engine: 318
new owner of a 1973 winnebago brave (and know Nothing)
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:30 AM »
Hello forum.
 My name is Rick and I just acquired a 1973 Winnebago brave (other  than that I know nothing about it). I also have no clue how to get started on the remodel. what I have done is  start it up runs amazing (318 dodge) but under a load it dies. I simply bypassed the fuel tank and  ran a hose to the carb from a gas can to get it home. drove like a top that way .I will be taking of the tank and cleaning all gas lines and tank plus the filters in the tank and lines.  I will have so many questions I hope you all do not get tired of me on here lol. again I just wanted to say hello and im glad I found this forum to help with my quest.
 I will post some photos soon.

THANKS
Rick.

Offline LJ-TJ

• 14 year member
  • Year: 1975
  • Model: D21
  • Chassis: Dodge
  • Engine: 440-3
Re: new owner of a 1973 winnebago brave (and know Nothing)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 06:19 AM »
 :)ThmbUp Welcome aboard mate. You came to the right spot. Tons of help here. Sometimes to much  :)rotflmao . Pictures, we like lots of pictures.

Offline richardmo

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:24 AM »
I'M glad I found this site and look forward to all the help LJ-TJ. I have resized the pictures (I hope) and have three to show you  one is the outside and the other two are inside pictures . maybe after seeing these pics you all could tell me the overall condition (as you see with what I shown in the pictures). hope to get started soon but it's 34  degrees here in Missouri, and I have no garage . FORGOT to tell you guys what I traded for this Winnebago. I had a Mosin Nagant as Russian made rifle from WWII. STRAIGHT across.
Thanks
Rick.

Offline Rickf1985

• Year: 1989
  • Model: Chieftain
  • Chassis: Chevy
  • Engine: 454
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:55 AM »
These should all be under the General heading but after seeing the rifle trade I had to say something, I would have traded my 89 for that!!!

Offline M & J

• Year: 1987
  • Make: Tiffin
  • Model: Allegro
  • Chassis: P-30
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 11:36 AM »
Welcome aboard!

Lets mosey over to the Dead Cow Saloon and bend elbows.
M & J

Offline richardmo

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Hello RIckF not sure what you mean under general header hope I have not broken any rules as I did not intent to.              Thanks Rick

Offline LJ-TJ

• 14 year member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 05:30 PM »
 i?? Hey she looks pretty sound. Not a bad looking rig at all. Just don't make the mistake a lot of folks make and start ripping things apart all at once. Get the old girl running to the point were you can take here away for a weekend and have some fun. You'll find out soon enough what projects have to be done and then take on ONE at a time. Each accomplishment is a reward and encourages you to continue on. By the looks of her your going to have a blast working on her. The guys her are an incredible resource. Make sure you down load the manual. Makes life so much more enjoyable when trying to fix things. :)ThmbUp

Offline richardmo

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Actually LJ-TJ it is very sound with only some small water damage and as far as I can see no rust. I did manage to get the gas tank taken off and blew out the lines and cleaned the tank. put it back on and took it for a drive ( short drive ) ran great . I just bought plugs and wires , new distributer cap and putting them on today. I did look at the  electric and to my surprise everything that  needed electric worked and all the light worked and so did the recepticles, so im real happy. I do have a question you said  to download the manual I am not sure it will let me I tried it wants a password . I give my password but don't get the download . could you advise me as to what im doing wrong ?
THANKS
Rick.

Offline LJ-TJ

• 14 year member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Hey Rick I'm thinking you might have to become a member in order to down load the manuals off this site. I think it might cost something like $5.00 or $10.00 but well worth the investment. Also one thing I would strongly suggest is next time your by a N.A.P.A store stop and pickup a spare Ballast Resistor, along with a spare Voltage Regulator and Electronic Ignition modual. It's not a big deal until you out on the road and they go south on you and they will. Just put them in a box under your seat.

Offline tmsnyder

• Year: 1989
  • Make: Holiday Rambler
  • Model: 30' Aluma-Lite XL
  • Chassis: Chevy P-30
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 02:08 PM »
What LJ-TJ said, get it going and run it.  Use it.

But I would check the roof first and reseal if needed.    Some cracks may have opened up after you ran it down the road, now's the time to check that it's not leaking.

Offline richardmo

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Thank you guys for all the support and guidance. I am working on the inside ceiling  this week updated photos to come when its finished.
RICK

Offline richardmo

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 09:44 PM »
I feel really stupid for asking this question but here it goes. after  working on the ceiling and getting it running I found the brakes sto working . I found the master cylinder  under the drivers seat . How in the world do you get fluid in it  ? it is so close to the floor im confused lol.
RICK.

Offline richardmo

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 11:36 AM »
ty very much sir it does help . I actually was thinking about the trap door but wasn't sure if possible. thanks again
RICK

Offline Oz

• "So let it be written; so let it be done!"
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 08:33 PM »
Please post your mechanical/technical questions on the corresponding message boards.  Every board has a pretty detailed list of what should be posted on it.

All the manuals we have in the members area, plus the tech articles and everything else is accessible with a Full or Life member upgrade.  A very cheap investment, especially considering how much money you'll save by having these manuals readily available and definitely in comparison to other RV web groups where all you get is the ability to use chat, a couple other small benefits, and mostly so you won't have to see advertisements plastered all over the place... and for a lot more!

:)
Previously enjoyed our '74 - D24 Indian & '74 - D24 Indian Custom

Proud to be a:

Visit and take the Virtual Tour!

RVMH Hall of Fame
Lifetime Member

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoying all the benefits  Full Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

RV Buying Checklist

Looking to buy a used RV?
Don't go unprepared!

Print this checklist so you
know the real condition of that "dream" RV:

RV Buyer's Checklist