86 Chieftan..hard to start when cold

Started by bnlfan, June 12, 2016, 05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnlfan

I purchased my Winny a little over a year ago.  I have driven it a few times but just got it back last month. (Long stupid story).

Now, I am in the middle of testing, fixing and upgrading.

I have noticed that when it is cold or has set for a long period of time, it is hard to get started.  The engine turns over.  But, the longer it has set without running, the longer it takes to get it to start.  In fact, it runs the battery down.

Any ideas?

Rickf1985

Is the choke working? The fuel pump may have a hung up valve in it allowing gas to siphon back to the tank. Do you have an electric pump in the tank? If yes is it working?

bnlfan

Actually Rick, I don't know what type of pump it has.

I just ordered the repair manuals on ebay.  I suppose I need to have someone in the cab to turn the key just before starting.  And listen at the fuel tank to see.

Rickf1985

Ok, Couple things here. If you join as a full of lifetime member here you get free access to all of the manuals you will ever need and then some. And you will get more results if you post in the "chassis,General motors" section. Or it may be Chevrolet?

Oh, And on the problem, check the rubber lines down at the pump and make sure none of them are cracked. Cracked lines on the upstream side will leak gas out but on the downstream side will leak air in while running. If the valve in the pump is leaking then the gas can run all the way back to the tank. If the lines are 1/2" lines then it has an electric pump. I found out on my Pace that without the electric pump that the 1/2 inch line just allows too much volume of air to create a vacuum and it absorbs the pulse from the mechanical pump. Picture putting on the brakes with a lot of air in the line, same principle but in reverse. If you had 5/16 line to the back it would pull the gas up.

bnlfan

I will check that.  Thanks.

I clicked the tab for LIFETIME member.  But it takes me to FULLTIME member....is this the same thing?

Rickf1985

There are three levels of membership, Charter, Full, Lifetime in that order of rank. If you clicked Lifetime then you will get all of the privileges plus I think you do not have to pay anymore after this. It has been a while since I joined so I do not remember on that. You will get a PM from Mark with a password and username to get into the manual section, give him at least a day or two but if you don't see a message by then then send him a PM.

lemortede

bnlfan

Everytime I click LIFETIME the link opens the page for FULLTIME at $5.  I have tried from both my phone and my computer.

BrianB

I don't know if there is a lifetime membership anymore. I know the option didn't show up when upgraded last year either.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

Oz

There's always been a Lifetime membership.  The link on the sidebar block was incorrect which just took you to the full member item so I fixed it.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=202

Back to the issue at hand.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

SOOOOOOO, Did you ever get the cold start problem fixed?

Oz

Maybe we have to wait until winter to find out since it's a "cold" start issue...   :D
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

bnlfan

I'm sorry guys, there has been a bit of turmoil since the post and I was not able to do it.  Anyway, no I have not found the problem.

I am hoping to do it over the next 2 weeks. 

The thing about the cold start, it isn't just when its cold.  It is when it has not been started for a while.  I think the gas isn't making it up to the carb to fill enough.  Until I crank it many times.

Rickf1985

The carburetor has gasoline stored in the bowl unless the engine has been super hot and it all boils out. That is not usual. There should be enough in the carb to at least get the engine to fire in which time the fuel pump will be delivering more by then.

bnlfan

But, if it sets for a few days, there isn't.  If I try to start it enough times, it will start.  It runs rough and shuts off the first few times.  But once it is "warmed up" it runs like a champ.

legomybago

Here we go, another electric fuel pump install (or possibly you already have one, and it's not working?) to help prime the engine with fuel after the rig has set idle for an extended time..... W%
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

bnlfan

2 years later and I am finally able to answer the issue with the hard start.

On the passenger side of the rv in the back, beside the gas tank, in the frame, is a pressure regulator.  The diaphragm had went bad and was leaking fuel.  So while parked it would lose pressure.  I repaired it and all is good.