Hello, NEW face here!

Started by Losgunna86, February 25, 2018, 11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Losgunna86

Hello,

My name is Dana, my husband and I are on the journey to find the right vintage travel trailer for our family. We are currently in the midst of purchasing what I believe to be a 70's (thinking 1968 according to Google haha) Winnebago travel trailer. We actually had a 1965 Mallard in the works, but we saw the Winne first and kind of fell in love with her!
We're hopefully purchasing and taking her home this weekend (March 4, 2018)

We are complete amateurs, but are looking forward to this adventure. The Winnebago we want to purchase seems to be in pretty good shape considering her age. Some water damage near the vent is about it. Electrical works, no seams splitting on the outside, good solid floor, even the water damage area that we intend to fix isn't too "soft." I know that a lot of people purchase a vintage and get in over their heads. Hoping that doesn't happen with us, as I really have my heart set on taking the scenic route when it comes to fixing her up. I know it's going to take a lot of time, effort, and money. All in due time!!

As I'm reading others posts, I'm seeing a lot about becoming a full member? What does this consist of? What is the months or yearly costs?

Thanks so much for any advice! I'm trying to attach some pictures of the Winnebago we hope to bring home this Sunday!!

Dana

Losgunna86

Me again! I wanted to include a picture of the ceiling water damage. As you can see in the picture, the wood is rippled. When you push on it, it's not too soft....not sure if this is a make or break type situation when it comes to fixing up a vintage trailer. I see total gut jobs online due to water damage....not exactly something we could tear apart to see how extensive it is BEFORE purchasing her! LOL

Froggy1936

Hi The membership amt is minor , Best money you can spend if you are going to purchase this trailer. Looks like a pretty good deal to me (depending on price) Even if you have to replace entire roof , Its not as big a job as it sounds . I really like the dinette layout ! Look at some of the projects in the project section  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

That is a nice looking trailer. Like Frank said, it depends on the price, that ceiling appears to be substantially more than just a vent leak. I think you will find you have a fair amount of rotted wood up there but if you are capable of doing carpentry work then it is not a big deal. Check especially around and under the windows since that is a usual leak area. They can easily be pulled out and resealed so that is not a deal breaker but could be a bargaining chip.

Oz

Hello Dana.  Our membership upgrades are very minimal compared to other websites like iRV2 and you don't get anywhere near the benefits.  Mostly, you're paying not to be bombarded with ads all over the pages and annoying pop-ups. Here, you get what you really want:  info.

To upgrade, just click on this link and choose which one you want.  Both are incredible values and many members saved as much as 10x the cost of the membership upgrade using just a fraction of the info available!

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=store;cat=59
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Winnebago Warrior 94

Hello .welcome to the group .that's a cute trailer .as for the ceiling it may have come from the vent area if it was tilted where the hitch was lower in the front and water ran down the ceiling..but I would make sure I check out the roof really well ..but yall can fix it ..I had a old Shasta trial trailer that I fixed up ..it was so cute..it wished I still had it but I'm happy  with my winnebago . .it's a cutie too .it's working on painting the outside right now and it's looking good .so im happy ...you will enjoy fixing your up

postman

Oz, is right about the subject of membership. However I have a Class A. so my search was different. But the big W is a big hint you are in the right place here. I found some other sites with good info, if they seem to be of benefit to you I will chime in so to speak.

Losgunna86

Well, I am disappointed that I typed out quite the lengthy reply...I went to add photos and bam it all was lost into cyber space! LOL so here I am again!

Anyways, my husband and I bit the bullet and bought the Winnie we fell in love with. I hope we're not just blinded by her cuteness to have over looked something major, we shall see I suppose. There is most definitely more extensive water damage than we had previously thought. However, I was able to use that as a tool to talk the seller down a grand on price! (woo hoo!) So, all in all, we only paid $2,000 for her. My hubby keeps asking me if this is a good price or not, since I'm the one doing most of our research...please tell me this is a good price guys! hahaha!

We will need to replace the ceiling and roof, but her walls are all rock solid, even along the windows there is zero water damage. However, the first night we got her home we didn't tarp her up and that was a huge mistake (learning already!) as we now have a fresh inch of water marks along the entire inside ceiling. There's no getting around it, we will need to replace the ceiling and roof. My husband and I are pretty handy, and my step-father is quite the carpenter and willing to help...so hopefully we will have her all ready to go by Memorial Day camping at the very least!!! 

Where do we begin on this though? Do you start from the inside ceiling and work your way out towards the roof, or the other way around? I would thinking tearing up and replacing the old roof would come first. Because of the water damage I would assume we will be peeling back the entire roof to replace all the wood and beams underneath first and foremost. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be VERY grateful.

I will absolutely be looking into the membership fee's as we will need all the help we can get! We are amateurs to say the least, but we're young and in love with her, and VERY willing to learn and put in the blood, sweat, and tears she deserves. I can't wait to have her restored to take her out with our little family. Thank you all for your thoughtful responses, I am overwhelmed at the willingness to help, and just how welcome I feel here!

Thank you, Dana

Losgunna86

A picture of her coming home, her arrival, and the interior we fell in love with!

Froggy1936

Yea this site just dumps everything if there is a file (picture ) that is too large , So after you type your message highlight it and copy it. That way if anything is wrong and it gets deleted , you wont have to retype the message . Usual problem is the pictures are too large ! Looks like a good deal to me But replaceing a roof Is no big deal to me !  Just remove everything that is bad and redesign a new one that will last 100 yrs !  Remember to keep it as light weight as possible !  Frank Good Luck

Losgunna86

Thanks Frank!!

I'm looking forward to a decent weather weekend to tear into her and get going on it!! I'm intimidated but definitely EXCITED!! I'm not sure if I asked it in the original one I typed up and it disappeared or if I wrote it in the 2nd one or not. Is there a usual order people go in when repairing the roof? Work from the outside in, or the other one around, inside out?

Froggy1936

Its sorta both, Start on the outside remove edge trim ,A/C ,vents, sewer vents finishers ,Antennas, racks ,ladder mounts, etc .Then anything inside fastened to the roof The cabinets may look like they are But are probably not . Start at the frt and start peeling ! Being carefull of the wireing if any of it goes into the roof Bathroom vent interior lights . Good luck  Frank

Rickf1985

Well, If you open up the inside first you can keep the top tarped and the roof will support the tarp. That way you can get a real good look at what you have and form a plan for what you need to do before opening up the top. Once the roof is off then tarping becomes an effort in futility since if it rains the tarp instantly fills with water in any void and falls in. As far as what you paid, if you are happy with it then that is what counts.
And when looking at Franks roof job keep one thing in mind, Frank is something like 92 years old!!!! Well, not quite but he is the oldest member on here I believe and still going strong. That was quite a job Frank!

Froggy1936

Ha Ha Still going , Strong not so much . Im 82 And i think Ed Brady is older, :-[  but only see him on facebook nowadays , That repair was about 17 yrs ago , I would not want to do it now , I hope my major repair days are behind me , As nothing is easy anymore Climbed up on the Winnebago yesterday to remove a ft of snow and ice, Today my upper thighs are saying   Dont do that no more ! Glad i listed most of my projects on here , So i can look back and be glad i dont have to do them now !  Frank  :-[

Winnebago Warrior 94

I love the inside too ..its adorable,..glad you got her