On the Road Again...

Started by moonlitcoyote, February 15, 2018, 05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

Here we are, on the road again for another adventure.

As of this moment we have no place to be, nobody to visit and all the time in the world. Right now we are waiting on some very important paperwork in the mail and after that we are thinking of heading west. I would "like" to end up in Arizona but who knows what will happen between now and whenever.

A few things have changed since we were last on the road, the major one being that my spinal surgery didn't work so I am left unable to walk more that 25 feet without pain so I am mostly in a wheel chair. Also that means that I cannot drive long distances so our trek will be done in very short trips, no longer that 4 hours on the road a day. But no worries, we are not in a hurry to get anywhere.

Today I had to remove a window that Oshen broke when he tried to open it. Actually I had to remove the unbroken window to use as a template. UGH what a pain that was. I found a glass shop about an hour away that can order me some glass. Tomorrow I will bring the unbroken window to them so they can make a pattern for it to order the new glass.

Also having problems with the mice that have taken up residence in our absence and today we noticed sugar ants starting to invade. Ha, you just have to love nature.

More on our adventures later...

Rickf1985

Get some of that home pest spray and spray it behind all of the cabinets, closets and anyplace that you cannot normally get to. I have found ant traps to be totally worthless. Spray down at the floors and up all of the joints of the cabinets. That is where the ants travel.

moonlitcoyote

Thanks Rick that will go on our list of things to do. So much to do, so much time. Whats a girl supposed to do. 

First thing today is to re-install the window I removed. I need to find a small flat piece of metal to use to splice the frame back together.

WrigleysBraveWin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on February 16, 2018, 05:37 PM
Get some of that home pest spray and spray it behind all of the cabinets, closets and anyplace that you cannot normally get to. I have found ant traps to be totally worthless. Spray down at the floors and up all of the joints of the cabinets. That is where the ants travel.

I get my pest control products from these guys .....

Check em out, think you’ll like their solutions .....

https://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

Winnebago Warrior 94

glad your on the road again ..sorry about your surgery not working ..but glad you are still getting around and getting to go places ..do you ,make short trips here and there or do you make long trips to places and drive about 4 hours each day ;;you should post some pictures of your travels if you haven't already ..that would be cool ..I wish you all the luck in your travels and may your windshield ne whole again

moonlitcoyote

In answer to your question Winnebago Warrior, we do not have a home other than our home on wheels. We normally decide on a state to go to based on either my husband getting work somewhere or just because we feel like it. We dont have a home base anywhere so it's 1 long journey and no returning.

Our to do list is getting longer while we wait on the paperwork in the mail. This morning we found a HUGE crack in our bathtub so I am presently searching for a replacement. I hate searching for parts, I would much rather be able to see what I am buying to make sure it is the correct size and shape.

Now that I think about it, I am going to try fiberglassing over the crack and see if that will work.. I wonder if anyone has tried that

Rickf1985

If you do that be sure to prep the crack area before just laying the glass in there. Does the tub look like it is made of fiberglass or plastic?

moonlitcoyote

I think it is plastic, but either way I just finished fiber glassing it, maybe it will hold maybe it wont. Winnebagoparts.com didn't have a replacement for it. And I couldn't find one online that matched mine

Rickf1985

Well, if you sanded it well and then laid in the epoxy and the cloth it might hold. If you didn't sand it then probably not.

moonlitcoyote

I was wise enough to sand it first. I am going to keep looking for a replacement though,  just in case

Rickf1985

The big question is, will a new one fit through the door?

moonlitcoyote

It's only 24x 36 so it should fit IF I could find a replacement.  I haven't seen any like mine yet.

Got my water heater installed,  will post pics in the plumbing section soon. 

Next up is the replacement window,  hopefully it will be here Thursday.

Winnebago Warrior 94

That would be nice for yall if the fiberglass worked in your bathtub . .would save you the Hassel of installing a new one ...That's cool yall just travel around the country .,we have thought about doing Once the hubby retires

moonlitcoyote

Been so busy, lately. Well homeschooling takes up most of my time but still busy.

I ordered some LED bulbs and replaced all my interior auto bulbs with those.

Fixed and repainted the bathtub/shower

Steam cleaned the carpets.

Got my hot water heater installed.

Got the new glass for the window and installed that.

Took my wedding ring to a jeweler to replace a lost diamond.

Signed up with a mail company to receive our mail.

Now searching for a replacement refrigerator without much luck. I dont understand why they cost so dang much. $1200 plus $300 for shipping? Seriously too much money. We are using 2 small electric fridges right now but once we get back on the road we will have to use coolers if I cant find a refrigerator that I want to spend the money on. 

moonlitcoyote

The time has come (almost) for us to hit the road. We are hoping to leave Georgia on Wednesday and our first stop as long as everything goes well is going to be a place called "Neals Landing Park" Just over the Florida border. I am hoping to do some fishing there in the Chattahoochee River.

Then the plan is to drop down to I-10 and head West. If anyone knows of any good places to stop/see/do along that highway we would love to hear it.

We are finding it very difficult to deal with having a "home state" since we dont actually have one at the moment. No matter which state we want to call home, we have to drive/ bring all the vehicles to that state in order to register them. And out of the 3 main choices of Florida, Texas and South Dakota only Texas allows a child to be home schooled without needing to register with the state. BUT Texas has some law about if your RV is a certain weight then you may need a different class license. All my vehicles are currently registered until the end of April, so some sort of decision must be made. I have been leaning towards waiting until we get to Arizona and registering everything there since we are hoping to spend some time there. Being a full time RV'er can be challenging at times for sure. There should be a way for nomads to register their vehicles without so much fuss.

I am off for now. Will check in again soon. :)

Rickf1985

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Thank you Dave, I didn't know about that website.

Rickf1985

Don't know if you got your fridge sorted yet but if not check out these videos from Ford's. Actually now I don't remember if you had a fridge problem or not?  Hm? W% :-[ i??  Oh, Well, just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FordRVRefrigeration/videos

moonlitcoyote

Hey Rick, I got my fridge sorted 2 years ago when I took it out and threw it away. :) Now I really need to buy one but I just cant see paying $1200-$1500 for one. Guess I'm a cheapskate but dang that's a lot of money. And I have never found that elusive money tree.

We were hoping to take off on Wednesday but the winds are supposed to be blowing at 20-30 mph, so we may wait until Thursday to take off. I really dont fancy driving in the wind.

LJ-TJ

Ok so around here we don't allow CHEAPSKATES. We do allow frugal and thrifty but not cheapskates. Check out Sands RV in Ohio. Or you might want to get hold of the folks at. Bontrager's Surplus Inc. or Johnson's Surplus in White Pigeon Mi.

M & J

Or the place you got the seats and awning here in Kentucky.
M & J

moonlitcoyote

Hey Mike I did check Vizone but they didnt have anything.

TJ,  Sorry I picked the wrong word, you are correct though I am THRIFTY. I do not believe we will travel anymore than maybe another year so I hate spending a fortune on the Winnebago. But you just got to do what you got to do.

I am really looking for something I can buy along I-10 anywhere from here to AZ. Preferably closer to here (GA). We have come to the conclusion that we will have to pay at least $1200 to get one and we are prepared to do that but I dont want to pay shipping on top of that price.

LJ-TJ

Arrington's R.V.'s Addison Al. Tel (256)747-2222. Is this any were close to where your going. Lauren and I stopped there a few years ago. The folks were fantastic and the prices were really reasonable.

moonlitcoyote

Unfortunately no, Addison is 5 hours one way from where we will be. I appreciate the information though. :)