Front Brake Hose

Started by Rinkydink, January 28, 2018, 07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinkydink

I'm replacing the front Right side brake hose. Part W8006751.

I've found two online that both refer to the Work Horse Part number...one is from Work Horse for $177 and the other from Mill Supply is $44!!

I realize the cheaper one is an after Market... but that's a huge difference in price!!
Am I missing something? or should I stay clear from the After Market??

https://www.millsupply.com/10530.php?p=1449
https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/W8006751-P32-Brake-Hose-Assembly-Front-Rh

Any thoughts??

MotorPro

What your missing is that they are both ripping you off. I got mine at autozone for about $20.

Rinkydink

Lol.... well there’s that! I actually bought a replacement hose from autozone for this 6 months ago... went to install it today and it was the wrong hose!

With that said... point taken... $20??? Dayum!! Thanks for the heads up!

Rickf1985

If it says "RV" products, Especially Workhorse, it is like buying Mercedes or Harley Davidson parts, You are paying for the name only.

DaveVA78Chieftain

If OEMY's says the Mill supply version is acceptable (it does) then I am fairly sure it is good.
[move][/move]

circleD

Just make sure when ordering one it's for a motorhome and not just a 3/4 ton. I use Advance Auto for everything.

Rickf1985

There is really no difference between a 3/4 ton and a motorhome as long as the fit is correct. The pressure is the same either way.

Rinkydink

Quick Update... can't make this up.

So went ahead and ordered the Mill Supply hose... of course it came in wrong so I called them and the response was, "That's why we always recommend buying both sides, because we don't always know if the lefts and rights are marked correctly"

Should've just went to Autozone like MotorPro suggested... (I actually did call them and they couldn't find it in the system, recommended I bring in the old one to match it... thought that was too much a hassle at the time... oooops)

Rickf1985

When dealing with old vehicles it is best to take the old parts with you. There are so many different brake setups on these things it is very hard for the companies to know what is the right one without actually seeing it.

PM sent

DVan

Iââ,¬â,,¢ve been researching brake hoses and found a range of prices online from approximately $10-$60. Some hoses of a few specific brands, AC Delco, indicate the hose is Teflon lined, which makes them less susceptible to swelling from moisture. The Teflon version was labeled as OEM design and cost approximately $30. Does anyone know if the original OEM hoses on our P30ââ,¬â,,¢s were Teflon lined?

Itââ,¬â,,¢s REALLY hard to suss out which hoses have this feature
1988 Itasca Windcruiser 32RQ
Semi-retired Artist/Flyer

Rickf1985

None of them will swell from moisture, if they did they would disintegrate in the first rainstorm! The normal hoses will swell from oil contamination but so will every other part of the brake system so if you get petroleum products mixed in the brake fluid you are looking at a complete rebuild anyway. And you should never have moisture in the brake system anyway, if you do you are looking at a complete flush and fill. I think what you are seeing is a marketing ploy. I always buy brand name parts, not that that guarantees anything nowadays but at least you get a guarantee.

DVan

Itââ,¬â,,¢s interior swelling Iââ,¬â,,¢m concerned with not exterior. Both my 1970ââ,¬â,,¢s MG and Goldwing brakes locked up from the inner linings swelling shut from the brake fluidââ,¬â,,¢s  hygroscopic absorption of moisture from the air. The brake hoses all look fine from the outside.

I suppose I should just change the hoses and  refresh the fluid regularly as cheap insurance against brake failure since I donââ,¬â,,¢t know the maintenance history of this coach. Itââ,¬â,,¢s just that I try to adhere to not fixing that which isnââ,¬â,,¢t broken. But, Iââ,¬â,,¢d rather do a major item now in my dry,concrete floored shop than in a ditch in the rain.
1988 Itasca Windcruiser 32RQ
Semi-retired Artist/Flyer

Rickf1985

That is not from the moisture, it is just from age. Rubber gets hard and degrades after a while. All brake hoses will fail eventually. I have had the teflon lined ones with the braided steel covers fail on me, they cracked after about 15 years. The standard rubber lines will fail just as you said after 15-20 years. It is good practice to replace anything made of rubber after 15 years no matter whether it looks bad or not. It IS going to fail eventually and it will fail at the most inopportune time.