P30 454 Power Steering Pump part number...?

Started by bnlfan, January 21, 2018, 03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnlfan

Does anyone know the correct part number for the power steering pump.

I put on new belts but when I have to make a turn from a dead stop I get a very loud squeal and the farther into the turn the harder it is to make.  I checked the fluid level and it is fine.  So, I want to see about ordering a new pump.

I have done a search on the forum and I have not found anything on the part number.

Rickf1985

I think the pumps are pretty standard for those years but if you are getting a belt squeal and tightening doesn't stop it then a new pulley will be in order when you get the new pump. Most do not come with a new pulley, it will need to be purchased separately. Not sure about the motor homes, the Diesel pick ups using the hydroboost brakes used pumps with two return lines. One each line from the steering and from the booster.

DaveVA78Chieftain

1986 original GM P/N was 26020778

Aftermarket P/S Pump P/Ns
Cardone 208713

1986 original Pulley GM P/N: 14103167
Dorman 300-121
[move][/move]

bnlfan

Went out to move the RV next to my rear deck so I can start washing it.  Planning to wash one side, do a little work and then turn it around and to the other.

Well, press down on the brake peddle and guess what happens.....squeal.  Something tells me that it isn't the power steering pump that is the issue.  Perhaps it is just the belt that was put on is not tight enough.  Guess I will find out this week.  haha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just did a little research here.  Am I understanding correctly that the power steering pump is actually something called a hydroboost and is actually for the power steering and the brakes?  I'm sorry for being ignorant on all this....

DaveVA78Chieftain

Nothing to be sorry about if you never heard of this configuration.
In this instance, the Power Brakes Vacuum operated Booster is replaced with a Hydroboost Power Brake system that gets its power from the power steering pump rather than engine vacuum.  So, the  Power Steering pump is  supplying hydraulic power to both the Steering Gear and the Hydroboost unit.  That's why a Power Steering belt squeal can be heard from both steering or brake operation.

Looking at the drawing above, hoses 11 and 12 do not appear to be connected to anything however they are actually connect to the Power Steering Gear Box.
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Hydroboost has a rather unique feel to it in certain circumstances. If yo ever have to stomp on the brakes hard and fast it will immediately kick back at your foot. nothing wrong but that is the accumulator playing catch up and dumping pressure faster than it usually does. And if you do that while turning you will fell a distinct jerk in the steering wheel. Not enough to actually move the wheels but something you will feel and wonder what was that? Having had diesel pickups most of my life it is something I am used to. I even converted my CJ-7 Jeep to Hydroboost to get much better braking.
With all of that said I can tell you that if you lose power or the belt breaks you will still have brakes but you better have a strong leg and you will probably be using both feet if you have disc brakes front and back.

pthatcher

I've had problems with my power steering too. It makes sense now that the brakes are part of the power steering system, as I was pumping madly to stop the RV, when pulling into a gas station.

Rickf1985

Opened up a big can of worms with this one! Yes, the power steering pump runs the brakes on a lot of these newer and some of the older motor homes. If you have steering AND brake issues then the pump is the first place to look.

pthatcher

Do you think the 208713 Cardone will be the right one for my 1990  Winnebago Itasca 7L 454?

Rickf1985

Should be, It is the same number Dave listed above for the other posters 86. The only difference might be if you have a serpentine belt but a lot of these pumps come without pulleys. Even if it comes with the wrong pulley you just need to rent (usually for free loan) from the parts store the puller/installer tool and change it out.

pthatcher

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

86Winnie454

Thanks for the info on the PS system.  Very useful.  I'm new to site.  Hope it's still happening.  Hardly any of these old models still on the planet! 

86Winnie454

Have had a horror happen yesterday.  Had a friend over helping out (ugh!).  While I ran an errand, he put brake fluid in the power steering reservoir, after the brake went to the floor when he started engine.  He said he went in and pumped it a few times and again, went out to check the power steering reservoir, which had squirted the brake fluid out of the reservoir.  He sopped that up by throwing down a rag.  When I got back from errand, big mess!  Didn't run it anywhere, but ...what do I do now, besides shoot my friend, ...errrr aaaaa, start ordering parts?  Do you imagine it made it to the pump, etc?  I'm heartsick. Only has 80,000 miles on it.  Ick!  Called my old school mechanic who is coming over tomorrow to try and work wonders.  Arghghgh!!!!

86Winnie454

By the way, where might the brake fluid reservoir be located, in case I need to go there?  I'll check your website.

tmsnyder

Look in the drivers side wheel well, under the drivers feet.   These are often buried and hard to get to, but there should be a small cover you can remove to get at the m/c.

Just flush all the p/s fluid out with fresh fluid.

Oz

As tmsnyder said, flush the system really good and you should be fine. DOT 3 brake fluid isn't caustic like DOT 5, but be sure to check your brake operation thoroughly afterward.

You can shoot your friend, but you can't eat him.  That's illegal...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

86Winnie454

I am trying to find someone who knows the right parts to order for a 1986 Winnie p30 454 RV engine.  I found a new remote power steering fluid reservoir (old one rusted out), and a new rebuilt pump, but the hoses are bent and shaped in such a way that is impossible to tell which is what, and the Amazon page keeps giving me parts for a Honda CRV which is NOT my 454 RV by any means, so gave up on Amazon website. 

Does anyone know what hoses the '86 454 takes?  As in parts #'s?  Hate to be so feeble, but have researched for last six hours and blind, now(!)   ??? I have a diagram, but...  looks like 3 different hoses, but can't tell by drawing... parts #'s not included in drawing. 

Thanks, if you know. 

Thanks for info, Tmsnyder!  Flushed it and realized that reservoir is eaten through from YEARS (1986), so ordered new one.  I hadn't run it, so should be fine.  Seems brake fluid is lighter than power steering fluid?  Floated on top.  Took paper towels and sopped most of it up  (different color than power steering fluid), then flushed with a bottle of PS fluid.  Thanks again! 

Oz

Go to "Dave's Place", he might have that part number there.

Gates Belts and Hoses has been the reliable source for our RVs.
Check with them.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca