Coach Battery Tray Modification?

Started by Jamo, January 14, 2018, 05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamo

Our '89 Chieftain has a pull-out tray that holds the coach batteries. If its pulled out too far, the tray tilts outward and the batteries tend to try to fall out with only the cables holding them in. Has anyone modified the tray so that it is on some sort of track that allows the tray to pull out far enough to easily service the batteries without tipping over?

John
"In your guts you know he's nuts"

postman

Wow I dont have that problem, and I have 1 maintenance free deep cycle chassis and 2 deep cycle house on a single tray.  In fact I am going to modify my tray to be removable.

Got pics? I will try and take pics of my stock tray tomorrow.

Ooops I got a Dodge.

Rickf1985

John, I have the same setup as you I believe, Looks like I may have the same coach. Is you battery tray in the first compartment under the passenger seat outside? Mine will come all the way out and fall on the ground if I am not careful. I also want to put it on a roller tray but in doing so you have to be sure it is restrained well and there is not much real framework out there to work with. Would have to weld out from the frame.

Jamo

Rick, my battery tray is in the first compartment under the passenger seat as you said. And it would fall right on the ground if it weren't restrained by the innermost battery cable.  Once the weather improves a bit I'm going to get under there and see what I can come up with.

John

Rickf1985

They make heavy duty roller tracks for generators and battery banks for RV's and trucks. I have not really looked for them but they are out there.

TerryH

Here is an example of what Rick wrote about. This is a Canadian company, but as he said, they are out there. Quite commonly used in service trucks.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/page.aspx?p=50505&cat=3,43614,43616,50505

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Yep, that's them. I want to put them on my batteries AND generator. The generator might be an issue due to the exhaust so will have to make up a flange type exhaust connection that can be easily disconnected.

skloon

My 92 sunflyer has the same setup, first time I pulled the batteries out I dumped them out- and it doesn't slide too good with two batteries in place- the previous owner had greased the track which of course became encrusted with dirt- I wonder if those slides are rated at 400lb fully extended
here are some better priced ones

http://truck-hardware.orrorr.com/item/drawer-slides/heavy-duty-full-extension-slide/h-8431

Jamo

Thanks everybody. I've dealt with Lee Valley before and have always liked their tools and hardware although they are a bit on the expensive side. One of these slide sets is going in this Spring. It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together.

John

TerryH

True enough, they are somewhat pricey. However, very few items they sell are manufactured in China. In most cases they state the actual country of manufacture.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore