1977 Chieftain OEM tire size & are they split rims?

Started by duramax, December 10, 2017, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duramax

Can someone tell me what size tires would be on a 1977 Chieftain? Would they be the "split"rims?  Thanks

plockit007

Hi They would be 8R19.5 I don't think they are split rim. I have a 1975 Chieftain. Take a peek at some of my pix that show work on the brake hubs. :angel:

Welcome to the club. :)ThmbUp

DaveVA78Chieftain

If on a M400 chassis, 8R17.5 (8 lug rims).  If on a M500 or M600 chassis, 8R19.5 (5 lug rims).  Dodge didn't use  split rims after 73.
[move][/move]

Sasquatch

If it has 8R19.5 tires, a decent alternative is going with 225/70/19.5 tires.  The good: lower profile, less wander, better ride and handling.  The bad: shorter tire, so it will rev a bit higher at any given speed.  I did it years ago on my M500 chassis and really like the results.

khantroll

Silly question, but are those 17.5s hard to find? If so, anybody know how expensive they might be?

turbinebronze

Hi Everyone,
Just a quick side bar to this thread...and I don't want to sound like a di*k...
  Please don't call the rims split rims.  They're not split rims. They are split ring rims. The split rims are dangerous and I think illegal to use. Split ring rims are a little bit of a pain in the a**, but they do work. Split ring rims the tire stores will work on. Split rims they will not...
Just my 2 cents, (and please take it kindly)
    Craig 

DaveVA78Chieftain

Quote from: khantroll on December 11, 2017, 09:36 AM
Silly question, but are those 17.5s hard to find? If so, anybody know how expensive they might be?

EBAY
[move][/move]

Oz

turbinebronze,

Very good to know!  In the dozen or so years of running the forum, I never knew there was such thing as an actual split rim. In fact, I don't think at least 99.189% of people didn't know that either. 

But, since what 99.9% people call split ring rims split rims, and that misnomer is used almost exclusively here and on just about every other other forum as well,  I think it will be fine to continue to go with that since that's what people refer to them as, be it right or wrong.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Froggy1936

Mark you are correct  I have been working with tires since the 40,s And i never saw a split wheel .Though i have changed many a split ring wheels and tires. Used on trucks and buses . Most split wheels are on farm eqiupment and large trucks. Watching the link, You can see the difference and the danger of both, If you do not have a cage you can use a double chain for safety , But cleanliness and rust removal are a must  I always thought that they were talking about split ring wheels when they mentioned danger But seeing split wheels gives ya the shivers  Frank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Dp-XfEoRs
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

turbinebronze

Oz,
I understand them being called the wrong thing on here. The problem people have is when the call the rim a split rim while talking to a tire store. They will tell you they cant help you, and you'll think know one will help you out. It ends up being a misunderstanding. I just wanted to foreworn people.
  Sorry about hijacking the thread...
    Craig

khantroll

Thanks Dave! I meant the rims themselves though (poor wording on my part  :( ). I asked  because I may have the opportunity to purchase some on the relative cheap, and I may need them. I made the mistake of thinking they were 16s, and thus common Dodge rims.

I modified the search on ebay, and they seem to be pretty pricey

Oz

The dangers of changing split rims are covered on other topics specifically about them.  No need to add any additional warnings about them on this topic.

For info on changing split rim tires:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,6668.msg27695.html#msg27695

Are split rims dangerous?
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,453.msg453.html#msg453

More info on both can be found using the message search

;)

L.D.

my '73 Winnebago has the 5 lug wheels. not being familiar with them is there a newer upgrade for replacing these old wheels?

khantroll

Hi L.D.

Unfortunately, the only update for the 5 lugs would be 5 lug on 8 inch, 19.5 rims from a late 70s to early 80s RV (primarily those from Pace Arrow).The tires would then be 8R19.5 tires, which are commonly available if a little pricey.

Rickf1985

Quote from: khantroll on December 24, 2017, 10:18 AM
Hi L.D.

Unfortunately, the only update for the 5 lugs would be 5 lug on 8 inch, 19.5 rims from a late 70s to early 80s RV (primarily those from Pace Arrow).The tires would then be 8R19.5 tires, which are commonly available if a little pricey.

Aren't they the same as the later GM 10 lug rims? They use the ten lugs on the rear and five on the front. That is what is on both my 1990 Pace Arrow and my 1989 Winnebago. Both use the 8R-19.5 tires.

L.D.

sorry for the hijack, but would those wheels be one piece or "split ring" wheels? would it be worth my time to replace the hubs and axle shafts to an 8 lug pattern to get a more suitable wheel?

Oz

Whether it's "worth" doing is all up to you, depending on what you're willing to do and spend to make the change.  Some people would say, yes, it is, just to get away from split rims or trying to find 17" tires and swap to 19".

Rickf1985

There have been many threads on this subject. I have not really followed them since they did not pertain to me, that was why I asked about the Dodge vs. GM five lug rims. I am pretty sure from what I have read that there is no simple bolt on solution for changing the bolt patterns on any of the older coaches. The rear would be as simple as changing out the complete rear for a newer one but the front seems to be the sticking point.
I am terrible at searches because I can never find the right search term but if you go to the top right of these pages and search for something like "wheel conversions" you might get a bit of info. Try other related terms also. Be sure to search entire board.

L.D.

thank you Rick, I was thinking the same thing about upgrading to a newer axle and hubs. I will be looking into it.