Old Coach Batteries Out!

Started by Jamo, January 26, 2018, 10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamo

I got the old, 6 volt coach batteries out today. Both cases were split wide open. I could see the plates inside with their coating of frost. It looks like there will be enough room to fit two heavy duty roller slides in the compartment and still have room for two new 6 volt batteries.

Question: Will I be able to run the generator or plug into shore power without batteries in there? Will I fry anything? Will the left front tire go flat?

John
"In your guts you know he's nuts"

Rickf1985

I did not answer this yesterday in hopes that Dave would answer it. I am not real sure with the converter. As far as battery chargers alone it is not a real good idea to run them without a battery load. I have done it for many years with old chargers I didn't care about and only on stuff like lights and things. I would think that the house side of the system would be fine but on those older systems sometimes there was no different system for house and battery. It just charged the battery and the house used off of the battery at the same time. I would send a pm directly to Dave if he does not answer this soon and ask. He knows a lot more about the charging systems for the house side than anyone.

On edit, I see that you have the same year as mine, I do know the original setup had a separate circuit for the house so that should be good. Now whether it will damage the charging side I don't know.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Only issue with the generator would be if you have a battery source to start it.  Only DC output it would have is a small ~ 1amp battery charge output.

To the best of my knowledge the stock converter would also be OK.  The charger section is a simple full wave rectifier.  Battery charger section is "electronic" but should not be affected with no battery load.

Will the left front tire go flat?  Depends on if it has a leak in it.  Battery would not cause that.

[move][/move]

Jamo

Thanks Rick and Dave. Hope the "left front tire" thing didn't throw anybody off. It was meant as a joke...

John
"In your guts you know he's nuts"

Rickf1985

Dave's getting old and his sense of humor flew the coop. W% W% W%

MotorPro

Actually because of the reduced weight on the tire it will start to gain pressure until it explodes

Rickf1985

Be sure to clean out that battery storage area real well with baking soda to neutralize the acid that came out of the batteries.

Froggy1936

Then after clean and dry paint with Rustolium rust preventive , I like to add a piece of rubber back carpet for the batterys to sit on ,Provides a slight vibration cushion , And manufacture a hold down for them , In case of a roll over you do not want bare terminals trying to find bare metal to provide the fireworks  :-[  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Make sure you use Rustolium rust preventive on the tire also.  Will plug the leak
[move][/move]

TerryH

It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

He will get better after retirement.

TerryH

True. He'll also have much more time to assist here. Just think of the schematics we can expect!!!
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore