Replacement 1986 Chevy P30 alternator recommendations?

Started by bnlfan, January 07, 2018, 04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnlfan

My alternator has locked up and broken the belt that drives it.  Can someone direct me to what I need to seek out from the parts store.  They offer many choices that all say they are direct fits but, they have different amps...

The local auto parts store is telling me I can not use an alternator for a 1986 P30 and that I have to go to an RV store....

Thanks folks.

tmsnyder

Take it to an alternator repair place.  Get your good part rebuilt with quality components.  They usually do starters too.   That way you know it will work and you know it will fit.  Getting a rebuilt one is hit and miss.

Where are you located?

circleD

I replaced my old heavy duty one with one from Advance Auto. The clocking was different and lower amps. I found one with the correct clocking but only 90 amps. I could've rebuilt the original with external regulator for about the same price. If you plan to use the RV to it's fullest then rebuild. If you just use it lightly then replace it. I have belt issues because the amperage is to low. Just remember it has to fit with correct clocking, high amperage, and correct pulley

MotorPro

A GM alternator can be reclocked in a couple of minutes

DaveVA78Chieftain

You most likely have the optional 105 amp alternator and regulator setup shown on pdf page 4 of your parts book (Winnebago P/N 081057-03-000).  Contact Winnebago Parts and see if they can assist you.
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

I have never seen a late model GM with a separate regulator. I am familiar with Lesnak as an aftermarket supplier of high amp systems in the 70-80's. My 89 and my 90 both have 140 amp standard large frame alternators with internal regulators. Can you get a better picture of the wiring at the back of the alternator? and from the alternator to the regulator. I am wondering if the original wiring was adapted for the external regulator and if he can go to a standard 120 or 140 amp alternator. I have actually always wondered why there is even any need for such a large alternator on the RV. When you think about it the alternator only powers the vehicle and that is no different than any other vehicle. Nothing high amperage about it UNLESS you are running a DC refrigerator. And even then it is  well within the capabilities of a 60 amp alternator. Just a 100 amp will not work quite as hard.

bnlfan

Okay, here is an update.

First, I will pull it tonight and post pictures.

I called the phone number on the alternator sticker.  I talked to  the new company that purchased  Lestek and was given a lot of information that concluded with it is no longer made.

Right now I am on my work phone posting so I will try to post more when I get home.

As for the rebuild, I am going to bring it in to a local shop that does them.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Rickf1985

If the original GM wiring is still in there but just modified it would be best to just put in a regular GM alternator. That way if it ever goes out on the road you can get one in any parts store. Even if the original wiring is not there setting up the wiring for a standard alternator would be easy. The brackets are already there because the alternator in the picture IS a GM unit. And it looks like the two wire plug is right there.

bnlfan

Okay, the removal was very easy.  1/2 inch and 9/16 inch bolt.  2 plugs, hot wire and ground.  Plus, the 1/2 inch allows to loosen and tighten the belt...Yeah for me....lol

Here are the images and I did find someone to rebuild it.

Rickf1985

That is an internally regulated alternator, what was the thing in the first picture? You can replace that alternator with a 105 amp GM from the parts store. You may have to change the plug but they are readily available at the same parts store if it needs the flat plug. I will look at mine tomorrow. I will see if I can get a pic of the specs on it so you have something to go by.
I went back and looked at the first picture and it is a regulator. I would have liked to have  seen how it was wired. Watch the price for the rebuild, you may find replacing it with a Chevy unit will be a lot cheaper.

bnlfan

Okay, I was not able to get a picture of the wires going to the voltage regulator.  I actually just assume that the voltage regulator is going to the alternator.  I don't get home in time to catch enough daylight.  I will try tomorrow to get a picture of the wires.  There are 2 plugs going to the alternator so I have to assume one is going to the voltage regulator.

The rebuild shop wants me to remove the regulator and bring it in so he can use it to check the voltage when done.

By the way, does anyone have  clue how much this will likely cost me to repair?  I ask because I found some one ebay for under $150.00

bnlfan

Quote from: Rickf1985 on January 08, 2018, 07:03 PM
That is an internally regulated alternator, what was the thing in the first picture? You can replace that alternator with a 105 amp GM from the parts store. You may have to change the plug but they are readily available at the same parts store if it needs the flat plug. I will look at mine tomorrow. I will see if I can get a pic of the specs on it so you have something to go by.

That thing is mounted above the radiator.  I just assumed it was for the alternator.  I am learning a lot about this system. lol

Rickf1985

Here is a brand new, not rebuilt but new, alternator and the plug to go with it. The alternator is 96.79 and the plug is about 7.00 all at Rock Auto. Something to think about.
Wiring it into what you have would be simple and eliminate a lot of probably questionable wiring.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3467745&cc=1059353&jsn=576&jsn=576
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3450807&cc=1059353&jsn=636&jsn=636

bnlfan

Rickf1985

It will but why in the world would you want to pay double what I just showed you and still have an alternator that cannot be replaced on the road? It's your call but you are paying way to much money for an obsolete unit. And what if the regulator goes out?

Here is some reading material for you. This will make your brain hurt! :)rotflmao :)rotflmao
I LIVED for this stuff when I had my business. :D :D

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Wiring/Part2/

bnlfan

Didn't see your post until after...lol

I wouldn't want to pay more, I am not the government...lol   Thanks for the link

Rickf1985

We are posting over each other but I sent you another with all kinds of info including all of the info you would need to hook up that one I linked to. I am also available to help with that but this way you have it in front of you also.

bnlfan

Called local parts shops.  This is what my normal parts people said was the ACDelco match.  What do you think? If it fits the mounting spread, I would probably have to put in a spacer for the bottom.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/wilson-5289/unclassified-16437/wilson-alternator/90014665/4827271/2013/kia/forte?q=90-01-4665

edited to add::::
Yeah, we are jumping over each other....thanks for the pirate4x4 link.  I am going to be doing a lot of reading now.  lol

The rock auto one will not let me add it to the shopping cart for some reason.  I will try again in the morning.

Thanks for all the help.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Quote from: Rickf1985 on January 08, 2018, 07:03 PM
I went back and looked at the first picture and it is a regulator. I would have liked to have  seen how it was wired. Watch the price for the rebuild, you may find replacing it with a Chevy unit will be a lot cheaper.

I am fairly sure it is NOT a internally regulated alternator.   Wiring diagram/troubleshooting page is shown on that link I provided to Kevins post above.   http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=6771.0;attach=4073

Rebuildable: Uses Delco 10DN parts. http://www.jnelectric.com/publications/printableunits/Delco%2010DN.pdf

Rebuilt units are available: http://www.armatureserviceco.com/ShowItem/132594%20Lestek%20Alternator%20Marine.aspx
[move][/move]

bnlfan

Well, alright then...lol

Glad I checked in before making a buy. LOL

tmsnyder

bnlfan,
It sound's like you've contacted a good generator repair shop.  The cost to rebuild it will be about the same as a new made-in-china part which probably won't fit and if it does it's probably junk out of the box.   If it was me rather have a good generator repair shop go over the original one and rebuild it with quality parts that they will stand behind.   
And by the looks of that regulator you probably need a new one anyway.  Pick that up at the parts store, new, and drop it, the old regulator, and the generator off at the repair place.  See what they say about the old regulator.  Couple hours later, and you walk out with parts you know will work for a long time, and you know they will fit.

bnlfan

Dropped the alternator off after work today.  The man told me he would be calling me tomorrow to let me know what it would cost.  I told him I would be going out of town Friday and that I would be coming to pick it up (if repaired) Tuesday.

He asked if it has been sitting up for years.  I explained that the middle of last year (5 months ago roughly) I went to drive it into work and the belt broke.  Explained that this was when it apparently locked up.  He seems to think the windings are going to be okay.

Rickf1985

bnlfan

Messaged you back on the PM.

I picked the alternator up. It cost $110.00 to be done and I will put it back on tomorrow.  I think I have an extra belt on hand but regardless, I ordered a new one on Ebay.