Overheating issues on the 73 440

Started by mattyj858, December 11, 2017, 11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyj858

Quote from: Winnebago Warrior 94 on February 21, 2018, 04:44 PM
I might have missed something on the bar s radiator stuff ..when you added it ..did it circulate through your engine long enough? I was just curious if that could be why your engine over heated because it clogged up somewhere else if it didnt circulate long enough ..I dont know that for sure but just wondering if that could happen ..maybe after you ran it it unclogged ..our temp gauge wasn't working .we installed a new temperature sending unit ..then it started showing my engine was over heating ..we was freaking out ..lol..but them my hisband installed a new failsafe thermostat (they are suppose to stay open in case of thermostat failure ) but then my temperature gauge was still showing overheating ..then the,helpful people on this site helped us like they always do :) and we got a,heat temp gun and we performed test on the temperature sending unit and come to find out it wasnt over heating at all and the new temperature sending unit they sold us was either bad or not the,right one ..we got a new one and a different brand and haven't had any trouble ...fixed it right up..
Sorry for the delay. I added the BARR and ran it for about 20 mins and then left the Winny for a week + so it probably clogged somewhere. I replaced the upper and lower hoses and thermostat and ran the motor. Once the thermostat kicked in, the coolant was flowing pretty strong at idle. I haven't been able to take in on a proper drive to test the temp ( it's in storage) but I dropped it into drive and let idle for a while and the temp didn't climb too bad. Before I attack this issue, the temp went to redline sitting at a stop light, so fingers crossed.

roma

At last my temperature problems are solved with my 73 D24  with 413 engine.
After changing the radiator ,thermostat, new clean cooling fluid the problem of oveheating didn t solve.
Wiyhout any reason and very random the gauge went up to hot.
But not only the tempgauge but the oilgauge aswell!,,,.
So I bought a digital tempmeter and pointed it at the radiator. THE TEMP WAS OKE.?.

The problem from the beginning on was a bad voltage reducer in the dashboard wich should provide 5v for the gauges.
I changed for a electronic one from aliexpress from 2 dollar an guess wat ........ problem solved.

TerryH

:)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

Good to hear. A digital temperature gun is reasonably inexpensive and somewhat overlooked as a useful tool. Great for appliances, mechanical, electrical etc. testing and troubleshooting.
Initial reading 'may' not be exactly accurate, but shoot something close, then go back to the item you are checking. Similar readings for each over more than one test can tell you a lot.
I regularly check my converter and the area around it. Also the refrigerator during the warm season.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore