1972 318 Timing Chain Cover unusual size

Started by KatieK, December 06, 2017, 11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KatieK

Hi everyone, we are in the process of taking apart the engine on our 1973 Brave D18 and the timing chain cover has us stumped.  We are having a hard time getting it off of the engine block, and worry about damaging it in removal.  If that happens and it has to be replaced, we can't find this particular size anywhere!  It's taller than anything else I have seen, and has extra mounting bolts where the timing marks piece goes (seen in Hemi orange, the future color of the engine!).  The engine was manufactured in 1972 to go in the 1973 model, but I don't know if the parts are all original.  The numbers that are stamped are 2863527 with a large S under it, and upside-down above that is S-12. 

Does anyone know where to get replacements for this part, or if it can be swapped out for something else?  Is there a name for this particular style?  What the heck is this thing?!?!

turbinebronze

You have a 318-3. It is an industrial engine. Mine has rotators on the valves, a special intake that has water running thru what used to be an exhaust crossover, and special cooling in the heads. I don't remember anything odd about removing the timing cover on mine. There is 2 bolts in the oil pan facing up into the cover if I remember right. If I think of anything else I'll post it...
  Just my 2 cents, Craig.