Does Anyone Have Pictures of Window Disassembly?

Started by khantroll, November 29, 2017, 09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khantroll

Hi all,

I'm going to refurbish my windows, and possibly sort of upgrade them. What I'd like to do pull them apart, get new glass if necessary, put ceramic tent on, and replace the screens. My question is, does anyone have photos or a link to a tutorial. I have the book, but I'm not really getting the process. I feel like I've seen it on the forums somewhere, but my googlefu isn't strong at the moment or something because I can't find it.

Thanks in advance

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

yellowrecve

It's difficult with the many different manuf. and styles over the year. Some you remove a rubber molding against the glass, then knife the caulking between the glass and the frame.  Another had an aluminum trim that held the  glass to the caulking and frame.The caulking may be a black adhesive or just a soft putty. I think you'll find that the glass is removable with most windows still installed. Those that don't will need to be removed and the frame opened.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

khantroll

Hi Yellow,

The windows are coming out anyway to inspect for rot (I don't think there is any, but I have found it elsewhere in the coach and want to be sure). The manual says to remove the the screws on the interior frame, and then the outer frame comes out as one unit. It says that in order to get the glass out and redo the felt and seals, you have to cut a spot weld off, and it suggests repairing this with epoxy (but it doesn't give guidance on what type or anything).

I just want as much info going in as I can get, because replacing the window if I destroy it will not be easy, and it will leave the coach exposed to the elements (tarps only do so much).

Rickf1985

I have pics of taking my late ones out and in but nothing of taking the actual window apart. If they are Hehr windows I have found they are very hard to get any info on, and also VERY, VERY hard to get parts for.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]