Transcoach Info from Serial Number?

Started by khantroll, November 27, 2017, 09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khantroll

Hi All,

So, I was recently at my local wrecking yard, and I saw 1977 Dodge out there with the brand name Transcoach on it. I know we can decode Winnebago serial numbers, but what about this brand? I found the Dodge name plate, but the thing was too worn down to even get a rubbing on. I have the following info:

Built: March of 1977
MFG ID NO: 80-1615
Serial: S7-1107

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what chassis it is on. I'm thinking it's an M300 (which sadly makes it useless to me but oh well).

Thanks in Advance!

Oz

Where did you get those numbers from?  A plate on the body?  If so, that would give you only the body manufacture info.  The Dodge VIN decoder here will work if you can get the chassis VIN.  I'm guessing the wrecking yard might not even have the title for it?  Maybe search the driver's area for an old registration?

Hm?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

I found paperwork in my Pace Arrow in cabinets, in the stove and in the microwave! it was all over the place but part of it was the receipt from dealer the previous owner bought it from proving they lied to me about what they paid for it. No matter, I only paid 600 for it. :D

khantroll

Sadly, the Dodge plate was worn down to the point I couldn't even take a rubbing on it. I'll see if I can pull some of the rubbish out and get to the glove box.  :)ThmbUp

postman

Quote from: khantroll on November 29, 2017, 09:49 AM
Sadly, the Dodge plate was worn down to the point I couldn't even take a rubbing on it. I'll see if I can pull some of the rubbish out and get to the glove box.  :)ThmbUp

khantroll, If you google [1977 Transcoach] exactly without brackets you will find the post. Right above that is

http://www.rv-coach.com/current_category.2177/Forum.124766/forum_thread_full.html

6-26-06 by Peter C  :)

No extra charge for the rabbit hole. i??

DaveVA78Chieftain

For 74 and later, Dodge typically mounted the VIN plate on the drivers side radiator support typically accessed from the front access hood. 

Dodge also etched the VIN number into the frame at the right front wheel
[move][/move]

khantroll

I'll have to get back out there and crawl under it to look for that vin Dave. The radiator, supports, and engine have been pulled. I don't know why I didn't think about a vin on the frame. Thanks!

Postman, am I missing something in your link, or are suggesting I measure the leaf springs and cross and see if it meets those dimensions?

Oz

I'm missing something from the free rabbit hole too.  I read all the replies and don't see anything about chassis VIN location.

i??

Just go with what Dave said.  Find the plate, solve the puzzle.

;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

postman

Sorry. It was that post that referenced "m400", leaf springs was the subject. The rabbit hole was my description of available images of Transcoach, all Class C.

I found a reference to the chassis VIN being stamped into the passenger side frame at the front suspension. I checked mine and there was a stamp. Maybe i should think twice. :-[

khantroll

Hi All,

So, I went out to the wrecking yard on my lunch break, and I was able to find the vin on the frame. Here is a picture of it:

I read that as M40CA7T0

M4= M400 Chassis
0= Motorhome Body
C= 14000lb vehicle weight
A= 440-3 engine
7= 1977
T= Warren Truck Plant #2
0= the start of the production number

Is that right?

I am going to cross reference my part numbers when I get home, but it looks like persistence may be paying off. Would all M400 chassis have a 14000lb weight rating? I thought they were a little more?

khantroll

Yeah, postman, I was surprised as well. I didn't even know Transcoach made class As. All I've ever seen were Bs and Cs (mostly Cs).

Hmm, sounds like a report card

postman

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]